Raisin seems to be going down hill again :(

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4luvofchins

Hi Everyone,

So my chin Raisin was pretty sick back in beginning of December with tooth problems and GI stasis. Well, he's been doing quite well, still gets syringe feedings as well as eating some of his own pellets. He still never went back to drinking from his water bottle so we give him ~45 ml of water orally throughout the day. He was doing fine, then all of a sudden yesterday morning he refused to eat his CC and wasn't touching his pellets. He was also hiding a lot and wasn't nearly as active as he was. I of course force food down him, knowing how important it is. His droppings have decreased significantly again, so i'm on guard for another round of stasis. I'm getting him in Friday to have his teeth checked and just hoping I can keep him from going into full blown stasis before then. I am no giving up on this guy and until yesterday he wasn't giving up either. Just think happy thoughts for us, because i'm back into meltdown emotions, I can't bear the thought of losing him. :(

I would give him a full dropper of simethicone every 4 hours or so for a day and see if that helps, I found malo hand fed chins can get a bit ofgas once in awhile out of the blue, may be due to gulping of air while eating. Does his belly feed doughy or tight? Can you put your ear to his tummy, do you hear loud gut noises? If so then I would get him to a vet for motility drugs and pain meds rather than treating on your own.

Is he on pain meds?

I think if he has gone downhill & you are concerned about his lack of gut function then your best option is to take him to the vets today, rather than waiting & trying to home treat him. If he is going into gut slowdown/stasis then the faster he gets gut stimulants, pain meds etc the better.

I would get him to the vet as soon as you can and not wait until Friday. Best wishes!

Thanks for the encouragement. I would take him to the vet, but in all honesty, we've been through this all so much and they'll just tell me the same thing they always do for a high price. I have some Reglan left over and some cisapride, so I started him on those last night as well as keeping him on baby gas every 8 hours. Maybe i'll up the baby gas. I do not have him on pain meds as he was on them for almost 2 months and i am worried that any more he'll have other system failure. Ugh so much on my mind! If he's doing even worse tonight after work i'll take him to the emergency vet that is closer. Our vet is a good 1.5 hours from us.

I do not have him on pain meds as he was on them for almost 2 months and i am worried that any more he'll have other system failure. Ugh so much on my mind!
I don't want to give you any more to think/worry about but it is worth asking yourself which would kill him first - pain meaning he does not eat & continues to spiral into stasis & bloating or possible organ failire from pain meds .........?

Good luck with him.

Back