Ummm... Hedgehog 'swimming'?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E

EyeSack

Just wondering guys, has anyone seen these videos?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXjPQYgT25Q&feature=related
My hedgehog used to swim, but not like this. Not sure whether this is what they do, or if this is not recommended. I noticed there are a few videos I've seen on YouTube that, much like most of the Internet, include various 'experts'. Just want to kno if this is legit swimming. Looks like water is getting in the hedgie's ears and nose, which i've always been told is a no-no.

BTW is this the new chins-n-quills forum? lol i noticed that that one was taken down...:cry3:

Yes, I've seen the video and thought it was really cute. You can tell the water level is such that the hedgehog can stand, but he is choosing to swim and play around. It looks like he is enjoying himself.

I would hardly say this is the norm though. Every hedgehog I've ever had hates bathtime and will throw fits trying to get out.

Yes, this forum has taken the place of the old Chin-n-Quills forum.

lol ok that gives me peace of mind! very interesting these hedgamahogs are! I miss mine, and I've been seriously considering getting another. Thanks!

So it's okay if the face/ears get under water? I thought it could cause infections. I don't ever get Maserati under, but she hates water. Maybe it's okay if they do it themselves and are expecting it, rather than being taken by surprise, like with humans? Just wondering.

water

bump

hi everyone

Might be an older theme but I think its important. Id just like to add that please do not just blindly believe these "experts" that people reference as their source. Everyone always says "none of my hedgehogs liked water", I also do not know anyone whose liked it. The worst are the people who think that the animal is enjoying itself while in reality it is frightened. But somehow some people are still convinced that just maybe somehow theirs is special.

Hedgehogs hate water . The hedgehog in the upper video is in shock when turned around. Like rabbits. They also hate water and can go into shock. Doesnt even have to be turned around. The hedgehog in the video has its head and an eye or both eyes under water. Especially the eyes (even one eye partially) are crucial. To him that means he is drowning or in danger of drowning and in such an event they go into shock and go still. So basically the poor animal above is experiencing drowning in a way for several minutes. I mean really, how dumb do you have to be to think it is enjoying itself. Now please think. I have had many many various animals and I am sure many of you have also had other animals. Has one, ever shown enjoyment, comfort, happiness...whatever you want to call it, by going completely still and not moving at all. The hedgehod in the video is even hitting the tub's sides and has its eyes below water. Doesnt move its head a bit to at least have both eyes out, or close them or move slightly when close to the side. Nothing. With the dog or a cat, when theyre on their back comfortably they are also pretty still. But if im around I can still clearly see slight movements, eyes, head, tail, a little bit of the leg or a slight adjustment of the body. Not nothing. Who does that ? But on the other hand it is a very known sign that anyone knows, even we humans do it sometimes, that going completely still shows complete awareness, state of shock, state of being on the edge. How is that relaxing ? People just do not think anymore. Freakin autopilot.

And I just dont understand how people rely on these "experts" , like that lady who uses one as source in the video. You have experience, I have experience, I know loads of people, read loads of stuff yet still somehow some would rather believe that one guy than their lifetime of observing their pets and their own time with them. Please always believe yourselves and your experience first , then others. Or go to the vet and as him. He will tell you the same based on the signs that your hedgehod has shown when faced with water (stillness equals shock). I think he would hit you over the head if you told him that your hedgehod like swimming the wrongside up.

So above all, no they do not like to swim. If you believe otherwise give the animal a CHOICE (always!!!). Not like in the video where it has a freakin brick or something that is stillin the water and submerged. A clear way out of the water completely to somewhere dry. So it can go and leave as it pleases. If you believe that at first it might need some encouragement, put it in very shallow water so it can walk easily, again with a clear way out. If after a couple of times it still walks out then stop bothering the poor thing. Cause they do not like water. Maybe one in 100.000.

freakin "experts"...:banghead:

p.s If I were you, Id flag that video on youtube as animal abuse otherwise it will only spread

Last edited:
Calm down, you are getting all worked up over a thread that is a year old. Besides, some hedgies do enjoy the water.

Back