New, Babies!, and Question

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

cowgurlhardware04

Hello everyone!

This is the first time I've posted on here! I've had a hedgehog in the past (like years ago!) and he was so much fun but I have just recently gotten back into them when I brought my two girls home just over a week ago. I got them from a lady who told me she had put both girls in with a male for a period of time. I was worried about separating them (as the girls were used to living together) and I didn't want to stress either one out. Due to wonderfull advice on another hedgie forum I separated the two girls, gave each nesting materials, and removed the wheels.

Well, after being gone from home for a few nights this weekend I discovered yesterday night that my big girl has had hoglets sometime between Saturday night and Monday! I am leaving them completely alone but the hut she has is a little see thru so I noticed movement last night after I had gotten home without disturbing her. When she shifted I saw two for sure possibly three since I was watching from accross the room when I thought I saw movement. One seemed dark and one seemed lighter maybe?? I am leaving her completely alone. Just feeding and watering It's going to be very hard to wait until I can play a little. But wait I will have too!

Now, for my question! My smaller female I noticed last night didn't hardly come out when she is normally very very active overnight! My larger female got very "lazy" before I discovered the little ones, but then she always was a bit less active. I'm wondering if they are like a lot of other animals who seem to really change their attitude before hand? Should I be worried about my little girl? Part of me wants to take her to the vet and the other part doesn't want to disturb her if she is pregnant and just going thru her normal process?

Thanks for the advice!

Oh my... what a surprise to have babies like that. And good call that the other one may be pregnant too. My inclination would be to separate your little girl from her buddy and give her nesting materials in case she is also pregnant.

How's it been going?

Oh wow, Good job separating the girls and getting the nesting materials. I don't know much about breeding....Sorry I can't give advice...I'm sure an experienced person like Nancy will come along soon

I'd say you're safer to just be prepared for babies. If the two females were with the male at the same time, she should be having them any day now if she is pregnant.

Back