Raisin Update

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4luvofchins

Hi Everyone,

I havn't been online to much lately as I just started a new internship at a local hospital. I just wanted to update everyone on Raisin's status!

We had a little set back around Christmas as I switched from fine grind critical care to regular grind critical care. He went back into stasis and required reglan injections as well as all other meds he was on. He has slowly recovered again.

Now he is still on his medicines until this weekend when I can stop them and keep a sharp on him and his fecal output. He is starting to eat pellets! He is still on CC with crushed pellets mixed in as he needs to gain weight and i'm still not sure how much of his pellets he's actually ingesting. He seems to crush them and eat some of them. He is still on subcu because he's not drinking from his water bottle. Any advice on how I can get him to drinking from that?

Overall he's doing great. High energy, eating CC willingly and eating/crushing pellets. He is still making plenty of droppings, however they are still on the small side. I'm hoping in time they will form and get larger. I'm still positive and i'm so thankful he's doing well. THANK YOU to everyone on here for the great advice, the encouragement, and the love you all have for chinchillas!

I'm so glad he's feeling better.GI statis can go back and forth,but it sounds like he is on his way to total recovery.

I skimmed through the original thread, but I was wondering about the teeth issue? The only reason I ask is that I thought that crushing pellets might be an indicator of a dental issue. Were x-rays ever done?

You can soak some crushed oats ( good amount) in the water for an hour or so and then just offer it in the cup ( hold it in your hand), it encourages chins to drink. They love the taste of this water.
He would also benefit from some loose alfalfa hay, very nutritious, increases appetite, also draws water into intestine and relaxing irritated intestinal walls.
Tiny pinch of ground flaxseed is a good idea too. I would also add some organic herbs ( dandelion root and leaf, nettle leaf, wheat bran, rose hips), really help sick chinnies. With their help my poor rescue pulled through and was doing back flips in the cage in just 8 days! He was in such bad shape, my hubby did not believe he would make it through the first night.
Hope your chin continues to improve and do well!

Back