Rescued hedgehog tips?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

pekodinky

I have a 12 month hedgehog called Sonic and when he was 8 weeks old my dog broke into his cage and I don't know if he did anything to him but Sonic was so tame and confident and ever since he has been terrified of everything. He never comes out of a ball when I pick him up and never comes out when the lights are on. I have him out twice a day but he just doesn't want to know. My dog is never in the same room as him now but I think he might be able to smell him and that's why he's frightened.

Any tips on taming a frightened hedgehog. Or shall I give him to someone who doesn't have any other pets?

Poor little guy... All I can think to do is to keep a very consistent schedule with Sonic so that he stays accustomed to certain events happening at certain times and interact on his terms as much as possible; ie, keep the dog out of the room and when you take Sonic out, make sure everything is quiet, the lights are dim, you speak softly, and so on.

Hedgehog personalities do change over time. So, he might be more cautious now than he was when he was 8 weeks old even f your dog hadn't scared him. Just be quiet, and consistent, and careful with him. Give him treats (like mealies) when you get gim out so he learns that good things come from the quill-less human. Just be patient and consistent.

(That said, some hedgehog are just huffier than others - my fist one was very huffy for a long time, my second was much more friendly, and now my theird isn't scared of anything! they all have different personalities just like people!)

Back