Question about chin supply allergy.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3CsMommy

My babies Rock!
Western NY aka: Our Zoo. (We only lack a bird.)
A fellow chin owner on Live Journal has discovered she has allergies to some of her chin supplies. She writes:

I have found that her hay give me the rash, but I am still unsure of what's causing the itchy watery eyes and coughing/sneezing when she comes out to play. I feel so guilty that I cannot bring her out to play for long periods of time and it's starting to get to her since she's started fur biting and I just don't know what to do. I feel rather distressed and would like some suggestions for keeping her entertained in her cage until I can get to the bottom of these allergies.

Would it maybe a good idea to bathe her? Possibly to get rid of any residue from her hay, or anything that may have gotten into her fur that could be causing my allergic reaction, out?

Any suggestions about anything would be most helpful. I am probably going to try and see about an allergy test at some point soon when I can get some time off of work/school.

I've suggested short, nightly dust baths and changing the dust in between to get the last of the pollen or whatever out of the chin's fur instead of a water bath. I've also asked about a wheel and chew toys and will direct her to the Chin Spin/Flying Saucer and toy ordering sites if she needs them.

Any other ideas that might help her isolate what she's reacting to?

Thanks for helping another Chin Mom out.

Ask her if she uses the dust from the petstore. I have had several customers that think they are allergic to the chins just because of the dust. Find out what she uses and maybe suggest switching to corn starch for a few weeks. See if that makes a difference.

A couple months back I had a gentleman come over to drop off his chins because they were giving him such a bad reaction at home. He was at my house for a couple hours and had no reaction here at all. It turns out it was the dust from the pet store that was giving him the problems.

I know a whole bunch of people who are allergic to hay. It will give you the rash and the itchy/watery eyes. I have noticed that Kaytee and the hay I got in a bale from my feed store were the worst when it came to my allergies.

Back