Hand feeding treats

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E

elvira.

Okay so I dont even have my hedgie yet (3 more days, YAY!) but I have a question about hand feeding.

though I havent had hedgehogs, Ive had lots of reptiles and ferrets. I had 2 ferrets that I could hand feed, but the others were sweethearts until food came in the picture. I couldnt hand feed them without bleeding profusely. I also had lizards that after were handfed only once or twice, then would lunge and bite at my hands or anything that came near them constantly, even the one who was only fed veggies. Is this something that I should worry about with a hog? If so i think id rather just give him a little dish of treat things in his cage. I saw a youtube vid of a hedgie going nuts for a piece of cilantro and it reminded me of the ravenous lizards lol.

Some hedgehogs can be hand fed no problem but others will just about take your finger off. I always recommend that people avoid hand feeding babies because they can sometimes start to associate your fingers as always having food in them. Avoiding problems with hand feeding a biting is easier to avoid to begin with than cure once they start to do it.

With babies, I always set the treat in front of them or in a dish. Once they are adults, depending on how frantically they grab for the treat, then I will decide if hand feeding is a good idea to try.

ok so i wasnt just being silly! i guess ill just wait and see how much of a pig he is before i get my fingers in there lol

I've been nipped a couple of times from hand feeding. It's because hedgies sometimes have a hard time distinguishing where the treat ends and you begin. To remedy this, instead of using fingertips to hand-feed you can put the treat in your palm. This gives a bigger surface area so it's easier for them to tell. I haven't been nipped at all that way, unlike with from fingertips where I've been nipped a few times when my hedgie was extra excited.

I hand feed Luna sometimes. She's never even tried to bite me.

Latest posts

Back