Heat source and nail clipping

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

StarstruckAngel

I've been thinking about space heaters and heating pads, and both are fire hazards when left unattended so I'm beginning to really not like that idea.

Now these "ceramic heat emitters with thermostat" things sound like a wonderful idea, but I have not been able to find where I can get one! Does anyone know what stores sell them and how much it should cost me? (A store in Ontario, Canada would be good :p)

And in terms of nail clipping, are human baby/mini nail clippers actually the best? Does anybody know where I can get those? They had them at the Ex, but the guy was pressuring me into getting these fancy cat scissors that I didn't want, and I haven't seen the things anywhere else.

Won't have my baby for another couple weeks so no rush on this stuff, but I do get antsy when things do start getting rushed :)

I use regular human nail clippers (but I've never seen the baby ones) and they work great. If it they get dull, they should be replaced.

I bought my heat emitter from Pet smart. As for the thermostat, I had to buy it on line unfortunately but maybe some of our ontario members will know where one can be purchased. I'm still a huge fan of the oil heater. I use both the emitter and an oil heater. It seems by far the safest, we've used them for years and years, in apartments, condos, houses and now anywhere we keep hedgies. They have a great one at canadian tire which allows you to set the temperature by degree instead of just adjusting a high/low dial.

I think they have the baby clippers at walmart, target, etc. I use regular ones as well and have no problems. I find clipping after a bath is the best way to go. Congrats on the soon to be new addition, I can't wait to see pictures!

For one hedgie, the ceramic heat emitter with thermostat is a very good inexpensive to operate option. I use that system for any rescues/rehomes we get in while they are in quarantine. The emitter and 10" fixtures are sold at Petsmart but like April mentioned, you pretty much need to get the Repti Temp 500 Thermostat online. Big Al's sells them or there is another Canadian online supplier. http://www.mops.ca/cgi-bin/SoftCart...ng.html?L+scstore+gzgs9145ff793779+1252947621

I use an oil filled radiator style heater and have for years. The digital one keeps a more accurate temperature but if the power goes off, the heater does too and won't come back on until you turn it back on.

I'd rather not order online due to having to pay extra for shipping and not knowing when you're actually going to get the item. I called Big Al's and they do not have the thermostat. I also don't know what type of emitter I need, there seem to be 20 different wattage options!

I don't know if Petco is in Canada or not, but that's where I got my heat emitter and thermostat. Even if you have to get it online, it's worth it. My hedgie is in my chin room, which stays at 68 degrees, but his heat emitter keeps his cage at a steady 75 degrees.

If you are anywhere near a Big Al's store, phone and see if they have any type of thermostat. There are a couple of different brands but they are equally as difficult to get. Also check out any reptile stores.

I was calling the wrong Big Al's stores, the ones by me aren't reptile equipped, but another location has the right stuff, now I just have to hope that I can get there or a friend in that area can pick it up for me!

Make sure you get the thermostat. I has a probe that goes down to the bottom of the cage to take the reading. There are also rheostats that will control the emitter but you have to do it manually. The thermostat does it on it's own.

Ceramic heat emitters are sold in the reptile section of a petstore or in specialty reptile stores. you need to make sure you get the specific fixture made for them as well. I had one years ago for a snake and I bought it from www.reptilesupply.com even with shipping, it costed me less than i would have paid at the petstore, even with my employee discount.

Back