Chins & Hedgies

It is Central Time
Go Back   Chins & Hedgies > Chin Forums > Chin Related Articles
Register Chat FAQ Shop Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Chin Related Articles If you have an article relating to chinchillas, their history, health, genetics, please post it here.

Old 11-14-2012, 11:55 PM United States
O.o

Chinchillas: 6+

Media often twist unrelated data for entertainment. I'm sure owning a rat doesn't effect school performance at all, rather more mature, intelligent kids might be attracted to rodent pets, ect.

Some comments about kids not being responsible enough to take care of pets, it entirely depends on the child. I think some kids are capable of it with the parent only monitoring that the pet is not neglected.

When I was 8 I was required to fully research (back then by book) guinea pigs before i could buy one. Also, at 14. I was the one that saved up for, researched, and choose my chinchilla. My mother would have been clueless, and proved that when for my next bday she bought my male chin a friend from a pet a store that was female and died from a heart attack at 9 months.

Kids, parents, they all can have a range of ability to care properly for small animals.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:44 PM United States

Chinchillas: 2

Animals are great for kids to grow up with, as long as the parents are the primary caregiver and willing to teach the kids the appropriate way to care for each animal in the home I think my son is so lucky that he has an animal lover as a mom!
Old 11-08-2013, 06:46 PM United States
Chinchilla Servant

Chinchillas: 3

I think pets are wonderful for children. I started with hamsters when I was about 10 then went to owning guinea pigs and now I own a chin. I actually adopted a1 year old hamster from our local shelter and let my niece help out with her whenever she was over(she passed last July and then we had to teach my niece about death). I believe they're a great learning experience for children but only if they're ready, responsible, and with the right pet.
At 10, I admit, I would never been responsible enough for a chinchilla.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:14 PM United States

Chinchillas: 9
Hedgehogs: 16

I've been the primary caregiver of a pet since I was 8 years old. At 12 I took over a stable of 20 horses because my grandmother passed away and no one else was interested in them. Every decision, deworming, feed, supplements... was mine. We also always bred guinea pigs under my supervision. I wanted sugar gliders in highschool but I couldn't make it work so I filled my room with first gerbils and then aquariums and guinea pigs.
Old 12-25-2013, 10:42 AM United States

Chinchillas: 1

My kids have always loved animals, they get it from their Mom. There are rules about how we handle ownership. Research must be done first to see if our home is a good home for a certain pet. Just because they are cute doesn't mean we are the best choice. They are helped to take care of the pet and for my youngest two children there are rules as far as when they interact with their pet and having adult supervision. They have been taught to respect animals and each is gentle and loving. My 9 year old KNOWS when the beta has to have a water change and will let me know its NOW, TODAY Mom with urgency in his voice. I'm glad my children have been raised with animals. With love, rules and boundaries it has been beneficial for the animals and for us.
Old 09-16-2015, 02:21 PM Canada

Chinchillas: 2

This is TOO cute and heart warming....thanks for sharing!!!