Chins & Hedgies

It is Central Time
Go Back   Chins & Hedgies > Chin Forums > Chin Related Articles
Register Chat FAQ Shop Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Chin Related Articles If you have an article relating to chinchillas, their history, health, genetics, please post it here.

Old 07-21-2012, 10:05 PM United States

Chinchillas: 2
smile Surprising Pet Makes Kids Smarter

Came across this and thought it was to cute not to share.

Surprising Pet Makes Kids Smarter
By Webvet | Animal Nation | Tue, Jul 17, 2012 9:05 AM EDT | Comments
By WebVet.com

If you want your children to do better in school -- get them a chinchilla. A new study found a link between a better performance in the classroom and kids who have pets, especially the aforementioned soft rodents.

Surprisingly it was the chinchilla that emerged as the most likely animal to boost a child's cleverness, with 55% of owners reporting an uptick in creativity. If it's just a kid's homework that needs a boost, consider adopting mice or rats as 92% of rodent owners reported a better performance on assignments, compared with 86% and 80% for children owning dogs and cats respectively.

http://shine.yahoo.com/blogs/animal-nation/
Old 07-21-2012, 10:50 PM Canada
slave to Rhino and Guss

i don't find it cute at all. this article is going to lead to a number of mis-treated chins.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:43 PM United States
ZooKeeper

Chinchillas: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinnyMom View Post
i don't find it cute at all. this article is going to lead to a number of mis-treated chins.
Hopefully not. And if these are kids/families who are concerned about doing well academically, maybe they'll also be smart enough to only bring home animals that are appropriate for the maturity of their kids. And I don't think this will appeal to all families. If my mother had read this when I was growing up, I know she wouldn't have been influenced to bring home an animal just so I could perform better. But I do agree that having animals in the home is beneficial to a child's growth, but again, it has to be appropriate for the child's age and maturity.

"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened." --Anatole France
Old 07-22-2012, 01:07 AM United States
Creative Genius

Chinchillas: 18

It's not a scientific study. The kids felt smarter.

Quote:
The underlying belief is that caring for a pet makes children more responsible. In the Pets at Home study, nearly half of children said that owning and looking after a pet makes them happier, a third claimed to be calmer, while a fifth feel smarter.

When I'm good I'm very good, but when I'm bad I'm better.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:16 AM United States

Chinchillas: 1

There are no actual study findings in here except for some numbers. But I, myself, have a chinchilla and I have a 7 year old daughter. I think just by her watching how to properly take care of a chin and she just joins in for playtime with the chin that she is SO much calmer and more mothering than before we got the chinchilla. It will make her a better chin owner in the future when she is ready. I didn't agree with how they worded this article- saying that only animals which the child has sole responsibility of. A parent should ALWAYS aid a child in pet care, just like in everything else a child does- it's the parents responsibility to teach the child the proper way to do things.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:22 PM United States
RAF Chins

Chinchillas: 42

Well, most people would not go out and buy a pet because of a simple study that hardly anyone knows about. I do find it cute, and sure know chins are a good teaching tool for children. My two, ages 3 & 4...BOTH have their own chinchillas in MY herd. Blackie (yeah, my 3yr old named her so) gave birth today and my children were delighted. Due to my chinchillas my children have learned more about keeping hands clean (they help feed) as well as proper gentleness (I hold, they pet) and responsibility. They know the chins need fed daily. They know the pet chins get out for playtime. They know the cages need cleaned (I don't allow them to help with that) and they know that not everything is safe for a chinchilla to eat which also transfers into not everything is safe for THEM to eat I think having chinchillas as part of OUR family has benefitted my children. Though, I think any pet properly taken care of would do mostly the same. Neat finding.

'Quality Chinchillas, of Good Temperament'
Old 09-16-2012, 10:01 PM United States

Cyxxin, that funny your daughter name one of the chins blackie. I had a chin name blackie too.

Kitty

Snow white
Old 09-24-2012, 08:48 PM United States
TLCuties

Chinchillas: 18

Its a very cute little article. I also think it helps with the responsibility aspect and helps with their maturity!
Old 09-25-2012, 01:06 AM United States

Chinchillas: 3

Love it! That's why my children are so clever.
1 goofy chocolate lab
1 lazy siamese mix cat
and 3 chinchillas: Chelsea the White Mosaic, Piggy the Black Velvet, and Cleo the Hetero Beige
Old 11-13-2012, 11:08 PM United States
Mr. Handsome Chin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn View Post
Hopefully not. And if these are kids/families who are concerned about doing well academically, maybe they'll also be smart enough to only bring home animals that are appropriate for the maturity of their kids. And I don't think this will appeal to all families. If my mother had read this when I was growing up, I know she wouldn't have been influenced to bring home an animal just so I could perform better. But I do agree that having animals in the home is beneficial to a child's growth, but again, it has to be appropriate for the child's age and maturity.
Well stated Jenn. I think having any animal in the household is typically going to have a positive impact on the social and emotional well being of growing children. But like you said, it needs to be appropriate for the age and maturity of the child.