Pregnant chinchilla

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently adopted a male and female and their 4 month old baby boy. Before I got them they were housed together so I believe she is pregnant but I’m not sure how far along. I have separated mum from the dad and baby as I don’t want her to get pregnant again.

So today she is looking quite uncomfortable and keeps on licking/ pulling fur from around her lower stomach area. She also seems to be breathing a little more heavily. I was wondering if these might be signs that she is having the kits or is close to having them.

She is in a kit safe cage and I have a trusted vet that she can go to at any time just in case there is a problem.

So today she is looking quite lethargic and has stretched a couple times. I can’t see any stuck babies so I was just wondering where you think she will be ok? I was also wondering whether it could just be because she was recently separated from her mate so is she just sad.

At this point I think I would call the vet and ask for their advice, the female should not be acting lethargic. The pulling the fur out, if it's around her nipples, I could see as a sign of getting ready to give birth especially if her nipples seem to have gotten longer and pinker. Acting lethargic and stretching makes me thing belly pain, either gas, blockage, or labor. If it's been going on for awhile, like hours, it's possible the kit is stuck in the birth canal and the female may need a c-section.

Being separated from her mate will make her sad, but mostly she will be making contact calls, sitting as close to the edge of the cage closest to him (or the door if in another room), acting mopey (but should perk up a bit when you come in), stuff like that.

Back