Microwave Dried Hibiscus Flowers

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

808chindad

Living in Hawaii, I have an abundance of Hibiscus flowers on my property. I'd like to use them as treats if my chins have an appetite for them. Does someone have a prepping and drying technique using the microwave? I want to make sure I don't burn the flowers and try to preserve much of its vitamins.

First make sure any plant you use has never, even indirectly, been sprayed with any chemicals. Though being in Hawaii they probably grow wild there, lol. I've dried wild rose petals in the microwave, the key is to do very short bursts of microwaving. So do only about 15-30 seconds at a time (30-60 seconds for bigger flowers), and only do a single layer at a time spread out over a paper towel. The time depends on the size of the flowers used and the microwave, it can be a bit of trial and error until you get it right.

I now have a dehydrator, so that works much better, I can just set it and it holds all the things I'm drying.

Thanks Amethyst. Good to know about the chemicals since I do have nearby neighbors. I think I may just go collect flowers while I go on my hikes. Better safe than sorry.

Back