What can i feed my chin?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avarie66

I am a new chinchilla owner and I have had my boy for a little over a month now and I have been feeding him the pellets everyday along with treats once or twice a week but can you feed them any fruits or vegetables? I've googled and got answers but i feel like this is the best place to go for questions about chins so i am wondering what fruits and vegetables can chinchillas have? How often can they have it and how much do i feed to him at once?

Chins should not have any fruits or vegetables at all, both are too high in sugar, which chins can't process well (there is already enough sugar in the pellets). In addition they should not have any seeds or nuts, both are too high in fats, and no animal products (milk, eggs, meat, bone, etc), chins are grass herbivores.

Good treats for chins are, a Cheerio, a piece of a Shreddie, a few pieces of slow cook oats, a rosehip, a few rose petals, as well as other herbs like those sold on Fuzzies Kingdom, serving suggestions are on the website. With the cereal it's best to stick with about once a week, the herbs though can generally be given every day. However stick to one treat per day max. If you want to give more treats, for training or something, use wood chew sticks or a different kind of hay then you normally feed to hand the chin instead.

You didn't mention hay, hopefully you just didn't mention it but feed it, chins should have unlimited hay every day. The most balanced hay is timothy, but other kinds are good too for variety of flavor and texture.

Back