Now THIS is a horrible story

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, it's been a year since I lost Mini now. I lost Minerva and Tim to some kind of bacteria that went through my herd when I moved last May. They were four months old and looked amazing, but I think the lack of mom's milk and such a rough start made them more susceptible to what attacked my herd. Tiny is doing very well and is now in breeding with four BIG girls. They think it's the best thing in the world to completely smoosh him at the bottom of the pile. Here's a recent picture I took of him, he will still lay on his back for me and go to sleep like that.

IMG_3529.jpg

I'm so sorry about your Mini and her babies. =( Tiny is adorable. I could never be a breeder. I lost my first chinchilla in February and cried like a baby.

Oh, man, Tabitha, I missed this thread last year. I just read it and I'm so sorry for your loss. :flowers4:

Thankfully, the babies made it...that picture of Tiny is just :hearts:

helllo... sorry for your loss...
first I would like to put my two cents in... Jags is certainly right about the larger little pinching things off... or crimping a portion on the digestion system... usually it will take up to 10 day for a prolaspe from such damage because of being of the digestion being slowed from no room...them the chin gives birth and everything is loose and open... even though the crimped area sometimes does not respond its usually from excess blood flow... example have you ever had your leg or arm go to sleep...? and then suddenly you go to move it... you get that stinging sensation from the rush of blood flow... and iif your leg/arm was deprived of blood flow too long even the next day you can have a swollen limb... I think this happened to your chin... but in her digestion tract... first lack of blood flow and then too much... causeing swelling and stopping up her flow of poos...
this has happened to us here... but I have a rule with our ladies... if they give very large kits or lots of kits... its normal for us to give up to 1cc of oil on third day after kits... and if we dont see a cleaning out again on day 5... so far its working for us...
good luck... and thanks for reading...

Ugh, I had responded to this thread and after I had posted, read Dawn's post about this being an old thread! lol

I am so sorry for your loss. She was beautiful. I am very happy that you still have 3 beautiful babies to remember her by. Its tough losing them especially prematurely but its a part of life, the good out weighs the bad in chinchilla ranching. :)

Hope you feel better soon,
John

Back