Chins & Hedgies

It is Central Time
Go Back   Chins & Hedgies > Chin Forums > Chin Emergencies
Register Chat FAQ Shop Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Chin Emergencies Guidance given in this forum does not substitute for PROPER VET CARE.

Old 04-11-2019, 08:50 PM United States

Chinchillas: 6
Default Possible pregnancy?

I have 3 chinchillas and thought all were female but turns out one is male. We found out by coming home one day and seeing new babies in the cage from one of the females. We separated them and assumed the other female is pregnant as well, but it's been a month since the first female gave birth and the other female has not. She has gotten rather large for her usual size and sometimes has mood swings, but I feel like by now she should have given birth. I read online that they can check if she's pregnant by doing an x-ray, but that it is harmful to the chinchilla and the babies. Should we go to a vet and do an x-ray, or can they do an ultrasound to see what's going on?
Old 04-11-2019, 10:28 PM Canada

Chinchillas: 2

Without knowing when the second female may have mated it's impossible to know due date for sure. I would not bring her to the vet unless she is in distress, acting in pain or lethargic. Simply going to the vet could be enough to stress her into aborting if she is pregnant, not to mention any wrong handling (or getting bumped around in the carrier on the car ride) can hurt or kill unborn kits. Doing an x-ray or an ultrasound would also require sedation, unless you have an unusually laid back calm chin, and that is dangerous to the mother and kits. Even feeling for kits can hurt or kill them since they have such tiny fragile bones.

It's best to just make sure she is in a kit safe cage and count 120 days from the time you separated her from the male. Since you said it's been a month then you still have about 90 more days to wait. Chinchilla's pregnancies last on average 111 days, so if there are no kits by 120 days you'll know for sure she wasn't pregnant.
3 Dogs: Bear, Loki, and Blaze