chinchilla breathing

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benjoming

im new to owning a chinchilla and are chinchillas breathing the same as us with a steady in and out? I just want to make sure shes breathing ok and im just overthinking it. She has not a steady breathing and its more like a faster not steady breathing she comes out and runs around and jumps about fine sorry for the dumb question.

I'm a little confused on your question. Yes chins breath in and out just like humans, but where as human adults breath at a rate of about 10-20 breathes per minute a chinchilla is more like 40-80 breaths per minute. It shouldn't be labored or like she can't catch her breath at all though (unless she was just running like crazy) and there shouldn't be any real noise just like a human breathing.

its not that shes not catching her breath its like staggered breathing like its not a constant rate of in and then out its more like 2 quick breaths into a slower one into a couple fast breaths

I've seen it in my chin for some time, and wondering about that too for a while. I guess its ok because there's nothing wrong until now

Back