Which Scale and Dust?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maggz

Hello,

I was wondering what scale you all used to keep track of your chins weight.

ALSO, a major concern for me is that the blue cloud mine has closed and I can no longer get blue cloud dust, I have no clue what an alternative to this would be as all of the others I have read about cause irritation to the chinchillas eyes and/or have "sparkles" in the which doesn't work as well from what I've heard. Please respond because I am freaking out as the date my chinchillas are arriving draws near, and I want everything to be perfect for them.

Thank you!
Maggie

The scale, just any kitchen scale that measures in grams works. Just make sure it goes up to at least a kg. Also make sure it's big enough to hold a bowl or box on it to hold the chin in (they don't hold still).

As for the blue cloud dust, there are still places that sell it, Amazon, PetSmart, etc. Yes the mine has closed down but there are still companies that have remaining stock, for now, though maybe sold out where you are? The new replacement is called Blue Beauty dust. I still have jars of blue cloud that I stocked up on when the mine closed so I can't say if the new stuff is as good or not. It says it's from "Southern California" (same area as blue cloud), so maybe a new mine?

Last edited:
Okay, awesome. Thank you so much Amethyst for the help, I will look for Blue Beauty right away. And yes, you are correct they are completely sold out of it in my area! They only have petstore brands with terrible reviews that concern me deeply as they seem quite harmful to the chinchillas based on the reviews I read.

I see that there is one on PetSmarts website for Blue Cloud Dust by All Things Living...is that the one you were looking for? I also did see the Blue Beauty that sells Blue Cloud Dust on Amazon.

For a scale, you just need one that measures in grams. I prefer at least to the one hundredth of a gram (0.01).
I would suggest one that doesn't require anything extra. - I bought one before and then it wanted me to buy a bunch of extra weights to calibrate it and what not. Ended up being a fortune. Luckily a piece of plastic was broke so i sent it back and got a refund.
The one other thing i would recommend is get one that goes up to 2,000 grams. Mine goes up to 1000 grams and has worked fine so far. But i ended up taking in two chins that were normally at the 850-900 gram mark. And some chins can get bigger then that. So getting a 2k gram unit is jsut a way to protect yourself from being in a position one day in the future where you have to get a second scale because of that situation. If you get a 2k now, it should take care of them all.

Back