Chins on planes?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zombiezeatbrain

Philosophically inclined?
Does anybody have any experience flying with their chinchilla on a plane and how it works? I have a Ryerson carrier, so it's small. Also, does anybody know if passengers can hold the carrier on their lap in-flight, or do they just take them away from you shove them underneath or something? Because if that's the case, I don't think flying will be an option.

Alaska Airlines is my only experience flying with chins. On two round trips I have used the Ryerson carrier and there has never been a problem. You must research the restrictions. Yes, it will go in the pet area of the cargo hold. I would not fly in the summer as the chins will overheat especially where you are. I would not really want to fly chins in the summer unless I was flying on the first flight out when still cool. I have only flown them during show season. There is no airline that I am aware of who will allow a rodent in the cabin with you. Plus those carriers would be a major hazard in the event of abnormal flying conditions. But they will be fine as long as you fly when it is cool.

Believe me I searched every way possible to fly with a chinchilla either in cabin or in checked pet area with me as passenger.No luck,no where,no US airlines,no exceptions and believe me I tried! Regulations have evidently changed.Shipping as cargo(separate cargo plane) can be an option but I was not comfortable with it for getting Cayden from Canada to US( or even US to North Carolina) since he is young. The best option I've ended up with is fly to NY show,meet Christiane/show/pick-up Cayden Milne and rent a car to drive back home.Expensive, but worth it for me! I get to go off by myself and have a leisurely drive home(stopping overnight hotels along the way),meet new folks at the show and possibly some folks on my trip back home!Shipping multiple chins cargo works okay,a few breeders do it.But Cargo planes were the only ones I could get to take chinchillas,some now make exceptions for small birds/guinea pigs and rabbits but still refused chinchilla even after contacting them and making aware of chinchilla classification.I even thought about traveling with a chinchilla cat(there is a breed of cat by this name) but with airlines the way they are it was just too risky. Doesn't make much sense that most will allow small dog or cat in cabin/or even pet checked baggage areas but I could not get any airline to accept me and a chinchilla. Good Luck! Let us know if you have sucess for future reference/owners.

Hello! Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but it's hard to find information on this: I'm preparing to move my 2 chinchillas across the Atlantic. I am working with an excellent pet travel agency and they're flying on a British Airways flight. My question is about the water bottle. I am wary of attaching the plastic bottles to their crates as I'm obviously worried they'll leak/drip in transit. Everything I have read on this forum and elsewhere says to avoid putting on bottles when moving carriers around. I was wondering how breeders who send their chins in cargo deal with water bottles? I know chins don't drink very much as it is per day, and I'm guessing they're going to drink even less in an unusual and stressful situation like this. Would it make sense to just fill it up with 20-30ml (or less?) in case it does leak and then put in a good thick layer of KD pine shavings to absorb any potential leaks (and pee)? Thank you advance for any advice.

Back