Do Chinchillas like being read to?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chi-Chi Lover

I know that some chinchillas love to watch tv, but frankly, I don’t have the money for that. I did some digging around and a good way to bond with chinchillas is to read to them, but do they actually enjoy it like they would tv?

Yes chinchillas do enjoy being read to, it's a good way to bond because it gets them use to your voice. I use to read to my chinchillas when I was younger to help with my reading aloud for when you have to for school. Find up beat happy things to read, poems, childeren's stories, happy short stories, etc, so your voice stays in a pleasant tone. Chinchillas hear in the same range (and a bit beyond) as humans so although they are unlikely to understand what you are saying they enjoy hearing their owner's voice. They also like music, so if you play an instrument or sing they tend to enjoy that too.

Tv does not help with bonding, it helps with keeping them entertained. In cases where people have the tv on while gone it can help with them being alone, a radio can work too. They like the movements and sounds of a tv, just like a young child would. Even if you don't have tv you obviously have internet, which means you can watch videos with them on things like YouTube if you want to.

I find most of my chinchillas don't really like quiet all that much. I've had a few I got older that probably were used to silence and became nervous with commotion but otherwise they seem to greatly prefer something going on. Things to see and listen to.

Of course animals in general and especially little herbivores tend to dislike too many loud noises but they love being able to hear people talk in normal voices or a tv that isn't too loud. I've left youtube videos playing on laptops when we've had to be gone for 12 hours or more at a time.

Back