Need ideas for a DIY saucer. (And a question for a mesh? Wheel)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phoeblie

Hi,

I'm wondering if it's possible to DIY a saucer, and if so, what I should be buying.

I also saw this wheel instagram.com/oliverschin (latest post)... And was curious if it would be safe for the chins if i used some sheet metal or something and lay it in the wheel.

Last edited:
I don't know of any DIY flying saucers, but there are instructions for DIY drum style wheels online. I don't know the links off hand, but it's in one of the threads here if you do a search.

I can tell you that wheel on that instagram post is not safe, even with a solid running surface. A chin can get a leg, tail or even their neck caught and broken between the center spoke and where it connects to the base. Also most of those style wheels aren't big enough for chins anyway, you need one that is 15", most that I've seen are only 12" for the "chinchilla size".

I have made several different wheels for my guys over the year and yes a few did very well but after the cost of materials and time for design/construction I quickly learned that my best bet was saving up and buying the flying saucers from Meadowbrook chinchillas. They are pricey but high quality and with 8 of them for 9 chins they take a lot of abuse.

Back