Hamsters

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you have hamster(s) as pet(s)?

• Yes

Votes: 11 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Yes, in the near future.

Votes: 1 4.5%

• Total voters

ljiayi

@chingary
Just wondering, how many of you guys have hamsters as pets too? And if you have hamsters, what are the colours of your hamsters?

I have two hamsters. One is a roborovski named Henny Penny. She's light brown with a white belly - standard for a roborovski. She's so tiny - and cute! She's really skittish and doesn't like human contact, so I pretty much just observe her. She's so fast! My other hamster was sold to me as a djungarian, but I believe she's a winter white. She was almost completely white when I first got her, with only a dark gray stripe down her back and some gray markings on her head, but as the weather got warmer, she changed colors. Now she's almost completely brown (except her belly - it's still white) and she still has the stripe down her back and the markings on her head. I thought I was seeing things at first - wondering why she looked like she had two little black eyes lol - then as she really started to change colors, I realized she must be a winter white! Anyway, her name is Pearl and she's very friendly - has been from the start. She's my girl. :)

I have two Russian Dwarf hammies. They are brothers, and live in a 45 gallon tank. They are super friendly, and come when I call to them...they know they are getting treats! Their names are Aragorn and Boromir.

I've got a female normal winter white who's been with me for a year. Her name's Hay Hay as when we first got her, she was really munching down on a lot of hay. I mostly just observe the things she does in the cage as we made her a pretty big cage so there's a lot of things for her to do when she's active in the night. I'll just share with you guys a picture of the cage here.

picture.php

It's actually an Ikea detolf which is meant to be placed vertically but we placed it horizontally. The furnitures in the cage are mostly hand made using wooden ice cream sticks except for the one on the right top and all the wood stick walking paths. The left side is filled with shavings and toilet rolls for her to hone her digging skills. The middle is filled with bathing sand for her to clean and groom herself. The right side is filled with bedding for her to sleep.

We got our inspiration from a German website which also made use of Ikea furnitures (detolf and expedit) to build an enclosure for their hamsters. (So if you're reading this, a big shout out to you.)

Just thought I'll share this on the forum for any hamsters owners out there who wants to provide a better place for their hamsters to live in. :)

Cheers.

I have hamsters! Eleven of my own and eleven fosters. I have 3 roborovskis, 3 russian dwarfs, and 5 syrians of my own and then all 11 of the the fosters are Syrian hamsters.

I've got a female normal winter white who's been with me for a year. Her name's Hay Hay as when we first got her, she was really munching down on a lot of hay. I mostly just observe the things she does in the cage as we made her a pretty big cage so there's a lot of things for her to do when she's active in the night. I'll just share with you guys a picture of the cage here.

picture.php

It's actually an Ikea detolf which is meant to be placed vertically but we placed it horizontally. The furnitures in the cage are mostly hand made using wooden ice cream sticks except for the one on the right top and all the wood stick walking paths. The left side is filled with shavings and toilet rolls for her to hone her digging skills. The middle is filled with bathing sand for her to clean and groom herself. The right side is filled with bedding for her to sleep.

We got our inspiration from a German website which also made use of Ikea furnitures (detolf and expedit) to build an enclosure for their hamsters. (So if you're reading this, a big shout out to you.)

Just thought I'll share this on the forum for any hamsters owners out there who wants to provide a better place for their hamsters to live in. :)

Cheers.

:notworthy:

We had great dwarf hamsters as teenagers. 1 was psycho and attacked everything but once she was removed the rest were friendly. Ended up being a male and 3 females so babies galore. The originals were standard colored but they had blue/opal and tan offspring. They would climb the bars and tumble out the door when you opened it to run across the dresser at you. None of them ever bit.

Since then I haven't found really nice dwarf hamsters. I rescued Delilah a few years back from a tank of syrians while she was heavily pregnant and the babies didn't grow up to be too bad. I couldn't keep any of them though in our apartment that was technically no pet. They were a little lenient on caged pets.
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/aqh88/library/delilah?sort=3&page=1

When I was renting a house with my husband we tried robos but they died after a year and we put a lot of money in to them. When we moved to the condo we tried dwarf hamsters again with some black and white but they were nasty little things that I couldn't tame. They attacked anything put in their cage until they were thoroughly convinced the item was not alive.
DSCN0909.jpg

DSCN1166.jpg

DSCN0913.jpg

DSCN1116.jpg

Cute but I got tired of being bit so I rehomed them to someone who wouldn't mind having pets they could only look at and had to take extra care moving when the cage needed cleaned or the food dish filled.

If I ever got small rodents again it would be duprasi. They are a gerbil species but more like a hamster in shape and attitude. Much smarter than either one.
P1010254.jpg

Last edited:
I had a couple of hamsters when I was younger. The first was a class pet that I wound up adopting. He was SO cranky in the classroom and bit a few kids, probably because he was in a noisy class with no consistent handling and his cage was in direct sunlight all the time. Once he came to live with me, he settled right down and was never grumpy, even if I woke him up. Never nipped, was easy to handle. He lived a long time for a hamster, too, and died peacefully in his sleep. Second one..... was no to nice. Could NOT tame. After that I was done with hamsters.... they're cute, but I personally prefer larger animals that I can handle a bit more. The wee little squirmy ones aren't as fun for me. I would consider rats and MAY consider gerbils, but my guinea pigs have been my favourites, and I'm enjoying my chin now too. Don't think I'll ever get another hamster...

I have four hamster. Robo the normal color, a Chinese dwarf hamster, Lh syrian hamster tan and white And my black bear syrian hamster he is black and with white on chin white paws

I had a teddy bear hamster, he passed away at 3 years old. His name was Vinny. I usually called him VinVin. He was a regular greyish-brownish color. He was a really sweet guy, never bit me, and had no problem with strangers handling him either. :)

As the cage is big and hamsters are clean animals (they have a particular spot they will do their business at), I dont have to do an entire clean up of the cage. I only change the pee bowl on a weekly basis. On a monthly basis, I then clean up the entire cage which takes about half an hour. :)

i have owned over 100 hamsters in my life all colors and dwarf. I rescued 6 female dwarfs and one wasn't female the five females all had 10 babies so i had 56. then i sold all but 8 of them. again thinking they were all female and ended up with 50 more babies. the male looked like a female when i checked :( I didn't mean to breed them it just happened.

I now own 2 syrians. one cream colored male, Nibbler and a syrian tricolor (brown/orange/white) female, Serenity. I did have a white/cream colored dwarf male that was just adopted from me named Who.

I've owned gerbils before but have had experience with looking after hamsters in the past. Tbh I prefer gerbils but they are lovely.

Back