Are chin personalities born or bred?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just noticed someting a little bit interesting about two young males that I recently put together. One was always fairly outgoing and very curious. He wouldn't hesitate to jump right into your arms. Another young male I have was quite the opposite and would usually try to hop away...that is until monkey see monkey do...lol Once the one saw the other jumping all over me he just HAD to get in on the action which was something he wasn't prone to doing before. So I feel that environment has a biiiiig part in personality. A chin may be born with a certain disposition but that can certainly be conditioned one way or the other....

I really think that environment has a lot to do with it. I mean, certainly in the case of my Athena. I adopted her at 6mo old from an abusive home. When I first got her, she was insane. Biting, barking, all around mean. But after a year of being surrounded with love and good attention, she's pretty much close to an angel. So honestly, not knowing her parents, I cannot say much about genetics, but environment certainly plays a HUGE role.

Back