why is my chinchilla crumbling his food?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CocoChins

I've had my chinchilla for 4 or 5 days now, and I realized that he had been crumbling his food. The first 3 days he wasn't crumbling it but now he is, and I'm very worried. He isn't showing signs of sickness such as discharge from eyes and nose (I'm not sure for other symptoms cause I don't really know his habits yet). I'm really worried about him because I think it might be GI stasis because he has been stressed lately because he is still a new pet.

Crumbling of food in my experience can indicate dental problems. It’s somehing I always look for in the bowl. Find an exotics vet. You may have to travel. I drove monthly with one of my boys 2 hours to the vet. He was older though and had special issues. But vet was able to extend his life several years but filing his teeth and such.

How much is he crumbling his food? Mine will sometimes only eat a bite or two of the pellet and then toss it which results in some crumbling.

Mine takes 1/2/3 bites and toss ir off regularly, guess the crumbling is caused by that

Back