Chinchilla Toys

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ktschopp

Hi, I was just wondering how often you guys give your chinchillas new toys? My chinchilla loves to chew the bark off the sticks I give her and some other small things I give regularly. I have 3 large, hanging chew toys in her cage as well that she only chews rarely. I add new, small toys every other day or so to her cage so she has variety. I guess I'm just wondering if I should switch out the old toys with new ones after a few weeks if she isn't paying much attention to them.
I've gotten her a variety of toys as well to figure out what she likes. So far its been hard to tell cause I thought she loved mineral chews and those lava ledges but its been a few days since she's touched them. I have loofa, those finger traps, wood chews, etc. in her cage but she doesn't seem too enthused by any of it except she still loves chewing the bark off of wood.

My guys get new sticks everyday, new toys mostly as needed. It's good to change out toys about once a week, at least where they are in the cage, so they are new and exciting. I make most of my own toys, so I mostly have toy kabobs/skewers (you can get longer and cheaper ones in the bird section) that I just drop everything off of, reconfigure, and add new stuff to. Sometimes something they don't as a toss toy they like as part of a hanging toy and sometimes the other way around.

On a side note, it's probably good she doesn't touch the mineral chews, they are not good for chins. They can cause bladder stones due to the high calcium in them, and most are high in salt, which chins don't need.

Okay cool I'll definitely take out the mineral chew then. And I'll start rotating toys every week and then reintroducing them later and hopefully they'll seem new to her then lol. I give her wood sticks each day and about every other day I fill this wood toy with hay and some rose hips and it kind of makes a game for her to get to the rose hips. She loves anything with bark on it though so I'll definitely make sure to always keep that in her cage.

What are the mineral chews? Are you referring to the white calcium products?

That's what I find works too. Gotta rotate the toys and keep tricking them into thinking they're new. I hide away a toy for at least a month before giving it to my chins again. haha

Back