Heating Question...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aggie

Hello,

I am looking into getting set up with a heat lamp for my hedgie. She is currently being heated with electric heat, but this is getting costly to heat the whole room. Also, since she is in my bedroom, it is getting too warm for me. Lol.

So, I have been checking kijiji to see if I can save a little bit on one, but the people that own them don’t know a whole lot.

I have a couple of questions, will a thermostat attach to ANY heat lamp? And does it matter if it is for reptiles?

The guy that has one does not have a thermostat with his, but says it stays at 100F constantly. Which is too hot, but he says if I change to one with less watts it will be cooler.

Is there anything else I have to make sure it has/doesn’t have?

Thanks for the help!

I personally wouldn't take the risk of taking his word and hoping a lower watt will be cooler and overheating your little one. Definitely make sure you have a thermostat controler. Other than that you just need the special bulb and the clamp lamp or whatever you're going to put it in and no it shouldn't matter if it is a reptile one. As far as I know anyway.

You need a special lamp to use wiht a ceramic heat emitter - check the wattage of the emitter and make sure the lamp can handle it. I think the reason you're finding recommendations for a reptile one is that those are built to handle the heat emitter bulbs - it's very easy to check and see which will handle what type of wattage.

And, like shawnwk1 mentioned, you'll need to use a thermostat. You don't want hedgie to become too hot or too cold.

Try a SnuggleSafe disk. --> http://www.healthypets.com/snugglesafe.html

Buy it at healthy pets because they dont ask an arm and a leg for S+H like amazon does.

I ordered one a few days ago. It is cord free. You put it in the microwave for a few minutes and it keeps the heat for 12 hours. Make sure you wrap it in some towels or something so that hedgie baby can't chew through it. Even if they did chew through it, its non toxic, but still.

Try a SnuggleSafe disk. --> http://www.healthypets.com/snugglesafe.html

Buy it at healthy pets because they dont ask an arm and a leg for S+H like amazon does.

I ordered one a few days ago. It is cord free. You put it in the microwave for a few minutes and it keeps the heat for 12 hours. Make sure you wrap it in some towels or something so that hedgie baby can't chew through it. Even if they did chew through it, its non toxic, but still.
A SnuggleSafe is fine for transportation or emergency situations. But they don't provide a constant temperature for the full 12 hours. They start out warm and are cold after 12 hours. They need to be replaced after 8 hours at most. To do that you need 2, because you should not heat a SnuggleSafe unless it is completely cold or you run the risk of it having a melt through. Heating the entire room or providing a ceramic heat emitter (on a thermostat) are the recommended ways of keeping hedgies warm on a day to day basis.

Back