The Dreaded Fur Wads

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spoof

Kung Fu Chinny!
Found them this morning and thankfully nobody was dead. The first girl pictured nearly gave me a heart attack, couldn't see her behind her house and it was 100% covered in fur. It's horrible to reach in there, dig through the fur and find a body.

This particular run is made up of very submissive females with an equally lazy male so I was very surprised. The male is uninjured. The offending female is a new addition to the run and got her collar off. She was soaked in urine but no wounds.

Last pic shows the volume of fur I took out of one of the cages.

For newer breeders a beating like this greatly increases the chance the chin(s) involved will never produce.

Everyone is back to their normal inquisitive selves this afternoon and will hopefully be healed and have complete fur regrowth in about three months.

Attachments

• EbonyFBeating.jpg
    EbonyFBeating.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 479
  • EbonyBeating2.jpg
    EbonyBeating2.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 448
  • TovEbBeating.jpg
    TovEbBeating.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 403
  • EbonyBeating3.jpg
    EbonyBeating3.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 378
  • CageFur.jpg
    CageFur.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 376
wow, that's a lot of fur, I am glad that you found them on time, and that they did not kill each other, hopefully they heal fast for you :)

I just about did, I've had a few beatings in the past but never three at the same time. With them all being extra dark ebonies you'd think there were a dozen involved with the bucket full of fur I cleaned up.

Not the best way to start a morning.

I am glad that you found them on time, and that they did not kill each other
Chins are funny, if they want to kill another they do it. This was just a dominance style beating with no head or neck wounds on anyone. They were dry when I found them so it likely happened closer to 10PM the night before than when I checked at 6:15 this morning.

I'm just shocked there were that many involved. Usually when someone gets loose there's some fur here or there and they're in the run but never make it into the cages (you find bloody paws/bites on the offender, not the defender).

Oy, and I cried when I tried to introduce my girls and there wasn't even a handful of pulled fur. Glad all the chins are ok.

They're healing up nicely, already have fur regrowth.

Attachments

• EbRegrowth.jpg
    EbRegrowth.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 181
  • TovEbRegrowth.jpg
    TovEbRegrowth.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 154
my god, what happened to them? was that jsut form fighting with each other?
That was one female loose in the run.

They are all completely regrown, I really need a new camera, but this was the worst off one this morning. All are happy and healthy now.

The attacking female got her collar off again a couple days after this but everyone was closed. She's been double collared since and hasn't gotten loose. I'll probably open the ladies back up to the male in another couple of weeks.

Attachments

• EbonyF.jpg
    EbonyF.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 96
You're right, it's pretty rare that there are SO many involved. Usually if they do make it into a cage it's just ONE cage or if they make it into multiple cages they only disagree with one. I've had my share of missing toes (literally) and have also had animals beat to death (a male that had issues with females in heat) but nothing like that from females getting loose. Glad they're all healed up nicely.

Ah the joys of breeding!

wow, that is a lot of fur to find! I'm so happy that this didn't end up much worse!

Sorry, this is totally off subject, but when you say she got her collar off, what does that mean?

Breeding animals are kept in breeding runs. The females all have collars on to prevent them from leaving their cage while the male does NOT have a collar on so that he CAN leave the cages (and go into other cages).

This female, got her collar off allowing her to leave her cage and access the other cages in the run (other females)

ok, thank you! So, I've seen a pic of the actual collar...is there a "leash" that keeps them from leaving their own cage? And in this case, the fight was because of a jealous female? Again, I'm happy that loss of hair was the only major damage to the other female!

No leash, the cages are accessed by a jump hole. The collar cannot fit through the jump hole, so a female can get her head in the run, but can't in past that collar. It's kind of hard to explain in words, it'd be easier to see it.

ok, I've seen the collar so I can imagine how that works with the jump hole. Thank you both for the explanation!

Back