"Mom! Do you mind?"

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brought Izzy home on April 6th 2007 and I was told she was around 8 weeks old. I think she was born sometime in February. Weird! Very close...

Wonderful! She has absolutely no swelling in her face, no bruising and no blood. She has a teeny scab under her chin that doesn't seem to bother her, but I've just been leaving it alone. It's there for a reason, and it will fall off when it's ready. I've been checking her jaw every day for signs of heat or swelling, and I've found none. The vet phoned last night to check on her again, and we're just playing phone tag right now.

She no longer has runny green poop either. She loves her new, sweetened medicine and just sucks it back. She's like a completely new hedgehog, running, playing and exploring everything she can get into. She's still not on speaking terms with Adam though. If she's on the floor, she refuses to go near him. If he starts talking to her, she lowers her visor and walks away. It's actually pretty funny. He's been bribing her with apple sauce, but apparently she doesn't love it that much to forgive him.

I just can't believe how much she's changed after her surgery. It really makes me wonder how much pain she was in before her face swelled up, because she hasn't been this active in a long time. Before, she'd sit for hours on my lap. Now, I can't keep her there. She wants to go! Explore! Push things around with her face! I can't count the times she's tried to bail off my lap and go adventuring. It's really wonderful to see, especially now that she's mastered the art of running on linoleum.

The vet and I finally caught each other. He just wanted to check on "our little girl" and see how she was healing. He seems pleased with her progress so far, but warned me to keep a close eye on her for any signs of discomfort or difficulty eating. If she starts having difficulties with her moist food, I'm to bring her back so he can examine her gums to make sure everything is healing properly. If the area doesn't seem to be healing, he said he might have to do a gum graft or teeny tiny stitches, depending on the severity. But since she has such a hearty appetite (even more so if the moist food is on a spoon), he doesn't envision any complications.

He asked me to keep him posted and if I had ANY concerns, to please give him a call at any time. He said he checks his voice mail regularly throughout the evening and weekend as well, and he'll call back within the hour if I notice anything abnormal about her. He's a great vet, very caring. He even remembered to ask if she was enjoying her sweetened medicine better than the unsweetened stuff.

Back