The first night in the new place was a success... kind of.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Courtney

... and the Dynamic Duo!
So we all (Adam, I and the hogs) spent the night in our new place last night. We moved the hogs very last, and let me say... moving two Ferret Nation cages without taking them apart is... interesting. Adam and my father did it to save me some time and stress because I was already nearing a breakdown. I was sobbing my eyes out simply setting the cages up with new liners and food! LOL.

Cuda was completely agitated by his new surroundings at first and spent a good 10 minutes running around his cage. All the cages are backwards to make the best usage of the available outlet. The girls weren't too upset.

All three came out (separately) to explore their new home and get acquainted with new smells. Each of them found the full length mirror on the hall closet and each of them reacted completely differently and hilariously.

Cuda: He strutted right up to that mirror, puffed himself up like a proud man would do and started making little snuffle noises. It looked like he was flirting with his reflection.

Kismet: She waddled up to the mirror, looked closely, looked away and then quickly glanced back. The hedgehog was still there! It looked friendly! She started pawing at the mirror until Adam came up to it. The visor went down.

Vette: She took one look at the reflection and snapped into a ball. She's very anti-social.

This morning, all looked well. No green poop, food was eaten and water levels were down. The room stays pretty warm throughout the day, but because we are a lower suite, I bought a timer and set the heater to go on every 2 hours for half an hour each time. I'm testing it now, and even with the door open, it keeps the area about 25.4*C. When I clear enough space to pop the baseboard heater cover off, I'm going to turn the knob down in the living room and bedroom and then turn the thermostat up a few degrees. The hedgehog room will stay warmer, but we'll stay comfortable in the other areas of the house.... without having to run the heater all the time.

I'm glad all went well Courtney. Don't forget my baby's Saturday cuddle time!!!

Oh, she definitely got lots of cuddles this morning. Yesterday was hectic, so I made up for it today. She was a little unsure at first, since it's a brand new bed... but as soon as she figured out it was still me cuddling her, she sighed and flopped right over.

Last night went equally as well. After some observation, I found that room to be the warmest in the apartment. Not only does it get the nice morning sunlight, but it also gets the afternoon sunlight as well. That means it stays warm in there until about 8 or 9pm without even turning the heater on. Last night, I didn't actually flip the heater on until 10pm because the room was still hovering around 26*C. Instead, I plugged all the heating pads in, made sure they were set on "low", and set them to turn on (automatically) for half an hour every two hours. It worked like a charm last night.

This morning, I woke up to check on everyone and found all of them still up and about. The room itself was 26.2*C at 6:30 this morning and all bellies were nice and toasty. The space heater hadn't been on since 11pm (I flipped it on for an hour before bed), so the room really does retain heat well. It's supposed to be +10*C today, so the room should get nice and warm.

I'm quite pleased, and the hogs seem to be doing well. Tonight, I'll be experimenting with the room monitoring function on our phones. Apparently, it works just like a baby monitor.

Back