Midwest Hedgehog Rendezvous - May 5, 2012

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kalandra

There will be a hedgehog show in Milwaukee in May. Below is the information for the show. Show schedule and information is available on the show's website at: http://hedgehogrendezvous.com/

Below is some information from the show's organizer:

Midwest Hedgehog Rendezvous
Saturday May 5, 2012
Rodeway Inn & Suites
4400 South 27th Street
Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

9:00 AM - 10:00 AM - Check-in and animal health check

10:00 AM -12:00 Noon - Hedgehog Conformation Show

12:00 Noon - 1:00 PM - Lunch (bring a bag lunch or purchase lunch at one of many nearby restaurants, a list will be provided)

1:00 PM - 2:00 PM - Meet the experts: Question & Answer Session with representatives of the major hedgehog organizations.
Dr. John Wertz, D.V.M., Bluemound Animal Hospital, Brookfield Wisconsin
Dawn Wrobel, International Association Master Judge & author of "The Hedgehog: An Owner's Guide to a Happy Healthy Pet"
Deb Weaver, Chief Volunteer Officer of the Hedgehog Welfare Society
Floyd Aprill, Co-President of the Hedgehog Breeders Alliance

2:00 PM - 4:00 PM - Hedgehog Conformation Show

6:30 PM - For those staying over Saturday night, there will be a group going to dinner to a casual restaurant (large menu, variety of prices, everyone pays their own tab) close to the hotel.

Human registration fees are $5.00. Hedgehog registration fees are $6.00 per hedgehog for one show, or $10.00 per hedgehog to compete in both shows.

For those individuals that plan to stay overnight the Rodeway Inn is offering a special conference rate of $69.06 per night (all taxes included) for a Queen Size room. The hotel reservation number is (414) 817-5004. Be sure to ask for the Hedgehog Show rate.

Just a reminder, this is only 3 weeks away! If you are in the area, I would recommend checking it out. If you are hesitant to show your hedgehog, you may want to give it a try anyway. Some have been pleasantly surprised. If you are uncertain as to how to show, ask. People at shows are friendly and will help you along the way.

Hedgehog shows are always a lot of fun. I always learn something new at a show. Plus how often can you be in a room full of people talking nothing but hedgehog and not get looked at oddly?

I am planning on going. It is really fun. I agree with Kalandra, if you have the opportunity definitely come and show your hedgie. A fun, educational, inexpensive, way to spend a Saturday.

:( If anyone has any information about this type of thing in Spain let me know!!
Or, on the other hand, if there are any members here in Madrid also please contact me!
(Not sure if there is a way to sort members by city...?)

Hi. I live in Wisconsin about an hour from Milwaukee. I'm excited about the idea of participating in the show. We've never done that. We've had Briar Rose since October 2011 and she is about 14 months old now. The thing I noticed on the registration (I haven't yet registered) is it wants the Hedgie IHR number and we don't have one. All I have is a bill of sale that the prior owner got from the breeder. Does this mean we can't participate? Can we still attend and bring her but just not compete? It's all new to us. Thanks.

Contact Deb, her email should be on the website. I don't think she will stop you from participating without an IHR number. I'd suggest registering your little one then you can tell her the # is pending. Registration is free.

I was going to attend,mstill might, I've got about an hour to decide. Our Hedgie, Briar, got a nail stuck in her cuddle cup and tore it off Thursday night. Took her to the vet and she is doing great but I think I need to keep her calm and I'd feel awful if she opened up the wound. Guess we'll have to wait until October's show. We thought about bringing her and just not showing her but still torn. Really wanted to meet other hedgehog owners.

If you still have time, I say go anyway. The opportunity to meet others, discuss hedgehogs, and see how a show works is a great way to spend a Saturday. I've gone to plenty with no intention to show mine.

Have fun! I know several people who are going, a couple are from a goodly distance (1 from Virginia). They are all friendly, don't be shy :)

Oh and ouch! Her poor little foot! I've had one rip his nail out and like you I tried to not cause him any stress that may open that wound, they certainly can bleed!

Thanks we did enter her and she can in 2nd for Female Adult Pinto. Only 3 competitors but still so exciting. Disappointed that it looks like no October Milwaukee show but glad we decided to come this time. Thanks again.

Great! 2nd is very good. Good job Briar Rose!

I had heard he wasn't going to host a show in October :(, I was bummed out when I first heard that as I usually can make it to the October show.

I had a great time too. I remember Briar Rose. She is very pretty. I had Quinn, a senior male pinto. 1st (and only) in the am show and 2nd in the pm.

I am really disappointed about the October show too. But I am relieved for the reason. I was worried it was done for good. I guess they were going to do a special anniversary of a different show in Illinois instead of Milwaukee and that is where the hotel costs came in. Now its too late to put together the 3 day show in Milwaukee as usual. There may still be something in October but it is not certain.

This was my first show and I definitely was trying to take it all in I'm having trouble matching hedgehogs to owners. We didn't do the afternoon show and I regret it. I had my son with me and thought it had been a long day and was content with the 2nd place and the afternoon was the same competitors and if Briar was too thin for first in the a.m. I didn't think there was a reason to do it again. Now that I've read up on it all I realize that it's important to have multiple judges and showings for the points. But really we went for fun and we had plenty. I do hope there is a show in the fall and I definitely will be there if its in the Midwest.

Who judged the morning? I'm totally blanking on the am judge, but I know Elaine was doing her first judging (I think it was her first) in the afternoon.

Floyd Aprill was the first judge.

I am having that problem too Christine, its not my first show but I'm not super social or always comfortable in big groups although I did chat with a few people.

I'm pretty sure we sat next to you. My boyfriend was next to you and then me on your left side. My name is Megan. We chatted a little when your son was in the lobby playing. Maybe we will see you again at another show!

Ah yes. Thanks, I couldn't remember who I was told was judging.

It can be tough in new crowds. If I go, I have been known to seek out those that are sitting quietly to get them into the crowd.

We do need more shows. I was trying to put one together in MI but it went by the wayside. If anyone is interested in hosting a show, let me know. I was given great advice by a couple of people who have hosted shows, and have contacts to bounce questions off of.

Back