Aargh!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lillybug29

I'm frustrated!! I want to hear my babies running around and playing and they just won't! Mace is just lazy, and Khaki since she got sick isn't a marathon runner anymore. They both eat and poo perfectly awesome...it's toasty warm...what do you two want?? I know I'm just still working on adjusting everything to what they want exactly, but uggg...be happy already! Momma's trying here! Throw me a bone here babies! I love you to pieces and just want you healthy and happy and to cuddle and to love on you!

:hair:
Sorry, had to rant to someone/something!
:tantrum:

I'm excited to say that I figured out Mace is a hedgie that won't move if there is light. I had a very small nightlight focused in his cage so I could watch him run/eat/play. I took it out and wala!! He ran last night! It was for about an hour, but hey, better than nothing! He sounded like he ran super fast too. I am do excited and bummed at the same time because that means I can't watch him like I do Khaki.

I would try, it worked for me. Is that his only heat though? I've got a space heater next to the bed side of the cages, so I know they are warm.

I'm excited to say that I figured out Mace is a hedgie that won't move if there is light. I had a very small nightlight focused in his cage so I could watch him run/eat/play. I took it out and wala!! He ran last night! It was for about an hour, but hey, better than nothing! He sounded like he ran super fast too. I am do excited and bummed at the same time because that means I can't watch him like I do Khaki.
Satin was like that too -- a closet runner. I could hear her little feet on the wheel for hours, but to see her? No, that was not something she would allow. Every once in awhile, there'd be just a little bit of light and I'd slowly crawl across the floor and raise myself onto my knees to peer into her house as she ran. On the times she didn't catch me, it was such a joy to watch her run! You might try those video baby monitors that can shoot in very low light if you really want to see Mace run.

Those things are pricey!! Once I get my odometers in and hear his pitter patter I may just suck it up. It just sucks cuz it's soooo cute to see their little leggies go! I'm just relieved to hear him go.

No he has a heat mat too but he doesnt seem to like in much, in his old cage he did, perhaps he just prefers the heat from the infra red. Not sure if i should wait until i can change it out for a ceramic heat emiter bulb (though im not sure if i would have to buy a whole new lamp as well) or just take the infra red away seeing as if he's cold he can always get on his heat mat.

I'd wait for Kalandra'sgo ahead, but my logic says as long as your house is warm and he has a mat, I'd try it. I now know Mace doesn't like light. I was up until 4am studying and because the light was on in my room, no running. Dangit.

If your room is 25C that is about 77 F, more than warm enough. You shouldn't need a CHE on while at that temp.

WHen you get your emitter, perhaps you can connect it to a thermostat (there is a contraption for the emitter so that it will only turn on when the temp drops below what you set it at). Let us know how the running goes.

Well, the results are in. Khaki ran half a mile and Mace ran a little over a mile. That's so little!!! Considering their size, that's a lot, but Kalandra, you've had 13 mile nights!?!? Did they run for 9 hours straight?!? I'm kind of upset!

Don't be upset! I have two that run non-stop! They start up at 11pm and don't stop until 6am. 14.5 miles was a large amount, they average about 7 miles a night running for that amount of time. Their extreme running makes it hard to keep weight on them.

Tylda, my 10 month old, runs between 1-2 miles on average.

Each of my hedgehogs have nights that are slower, and nights that they run further. I moniter their distances and only get concerned when they either don't use the wheel, or have a major change in distance for many days in a row.

They both only ran half a mile last night. Humph. At least they are running. I guess this is an improvement since neither one of them was running this time last month. And they are still adorable, so they have that going for them. :eek:)

Back