The Trials of Truffles

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Amy

Alright, so I had initially tried to litter train Truffles when I first had her. However, I didn't have the proper pan and long story short I ended up just using carefresh. Well, I'm absolutely sick of the dusty stuff, so I thought, "Let's give litter training another whirl." I set up the pan, rotated a few poops in it over the course of two days and then suddenly...

I couldn't find any poop from the past 24 hours. I was freaking out thinking I had to take her to the vet and all of the horrible things that could be wrong with her. As a last ditch effort I took her pan out of her cage to search for a fresh one in case I had missed it. Then...

There it was. Under the litter pan. She had been pooping under the litter pan for a whole day.

At least she's going in the right place now, right? :D

Liners, ho'!

Hmm. What kind of litter pan are you using? I'm using a heavy duty cookie pan and I could not fathom Sid lifting that thing. LoL

But you are right, it's a step in the right direction.

LOL that is so funny.... Fray likes to dig in her litter and poop over the side onto the liners.

Good news! I found one poop under the box again... And the freshest one IN the box. Looks like she got too lazy to lift the thing. :D

=_= I switched her to liners today. The first thing she did was pee on it. I ended up having to dab away the spot with paper towel, and shredding the towel into her litter box so she knew what to do with it again.

Teaching an old hog new tricks is proving difficult.

That's very funny... Spike did something similar... he'd sit in the litter pan, but with his butt hanging off the side of the pan and poop on the liner. So now I just cover part of the cage with a liner and keep paper towels under the wheel. I change the paper towels a few times a night. I think it's cheaper that way and keeps the cage cleaner overall....

It would just be sooo nice if they could poop in a box though...

At one point Aero didnt like touching the litter and when he had to poop he would back his butt up to the pan so the poop wound be in the pan and he would be out of it and go potty. He learned quickly to not mind the litter so much once he realized he had to cross it to get to his wheel and thats something he HAD to do every night.

Philo I took your example and put down paper towels with an old poop on it. We'll see if she gets the idea. I was just using carefresh as litter since she is used to pooping all over the place. Maybe she has outgrown it altogether! :bow:

Well... I came back from the gym to find her sound asleep.

On the paper towels.

Attachments

• papertowels.jpg
    papertowels.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 16
Back