introducing two males

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nataliemariepowell

hello, i have one male chinchilla who is probably about 7-8 months old now that i got about 5 months ago & one female around the same age that i got about four months ago living separately so they don’t breed. however, i recently got a new male chinchilla about two weeks ago who is about a year & a half old. i have been trying to introduce the two males by alternating their cages & putting their cages close together but not close enough that they can touch.
anyways, my question is about the new male, toby. he has been making a lot of noises since i’ve gotten him. they’re not soft sounds, they’re kind of loud & pretty frequent. he makes the noise mostly at my other male when he sees him however he makes it even when the other one is in it’s house & toby can’t see him. toby stands at he edge of the cage closest to the other male chinchilla & makes the noises and wags his tail at him. last night, the other chinchilla started making sounds back at toby but not as often or as loud & they don’t sound as aggressive as toby’s. toby makes the noises even when he’s alone with me during playtime & no other chinchillas are even in the same room which confuses me. he also occasionally wags his tail during playtime while making the sounds.
i have put toby and the other male together and they always try to spray and attack each other so i haven’t put them together for about a week. i don’t know why toby makes these noises all the time and wags his tail even when no other chinchillas are near. does anyone have advice or maybe know why toby makes these noises?

Back