Bob won't eat!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LindsaySue

I've been reading many of these threads and felt I should post my own.

Bob had pink eye, vets best guess is that he was aggravated by it and scratched his eye so now he has an ulcer. He's on metacam and eye drops for ulcers.

He won't eat or drink, he's not moving or doing anything. We tried force feeding Critical Care but it was a disaster. He won't eat it, it got everywhere. The only thing he'll eat is raisin. We gave him 2, 1 yesterday and 1 the day before.

What can I try to get him to eat?!

The ulcer is complication the force feeding process, his 3rd eyelid is protruding from his eye socket, it's very large so were worried about aggravating it further.

Not all chins like Critical Care, and not all like the plain flavor, you can see if the vet has a different flavor, it should also come in, I think, apple banana flavor, or you can mix a small amount of plain pumpkin (not pie filling) into it to make it more tasty. There are other kinds of syringe feeds too that some chins prefer over CC, like the one sold on Fuzzies Kingdom. That link also has info about hand feeding a little over halfway down that page. Lifeline is another that I've read chinchillas seem to really like.

You could also talk with your vet about possibly adding a appetite stimulant. I know some drugs can kill a chins appetite, but I think that is normally antibiotics that do not painkillers.

I would not feed raisins, it will just add problems since chins can't digest the sugar.

I would take him back to the vet and have him checked for bloat, a common occurrence when chins go through medical care.

Back