New "playful" or just weird behaviour?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anshin

KCCO
so, today's hang out session went about normal. We lounged on the bed, Rigby, my baby boy of 7months was being his usual adventurous self. He likes to venture in & out of the blankets & sleep in my pocket. Idk if he just had a change of mood, or he was trying to play with his human (me). He started out darting back & forth & when I went to pet Rigby, he would jump at me & sometimes shake his body like a dog would after a bath. However, he made no threatening noises or raise his spines. He did this strange thing a few more times before cuddling under my arm & falling asleep. Is this jumping a playful thing? I've never heard of a hedggie playing with his human.

He may have just had an off day. Or maybe he noticed something different than usual - like a different scent in the air or on your hands. Or playing a new game.

He's also growing up... a bit of an adolescent now. Like other adolescents, stuff that was fine when they were babies and children is no longer fine... for example, some young hedgies are okay with being touched on the head, but as they grow older they do NOT like it and will tell you so. They love petting starting at the shoulders, but not the head. He may be discovering what he likes and does not like. Or discovering how to communicate with you.

Good news is his quills were down and he wasn't yelling at you for it. So, for now, I'd consider it cute. Glad he snuggled in your arms. It's such a happy feeling with them there, isn't it?

ps... as an adolescent male, he'll likely be discovering a fun thing about himself soon - if he hasn't already.

I think he may have just been playing with me. I'm just not sure. I'm not familiar with what actions are considered playful for a hedggie. He hasn't done it again since, but he seems pretty happy lately. He has a lot of energy recently as well. He runs all over his 2'x3' c&c cage & loves to run on his wheel. I say that as he sits in my pocket, sleeping.
We just had bath time & a somewhat difficult nail clipping experience. I just got Rigby about a month ago, so it was our first hedgehog bathing. Aside from a bit of chaos (trying to escape if my hand was available to climb on), it went well.
Now he's munching on his chicken treat & loves me again.
I have yet to discover him during "boy time", but I'm not sure what to do when that happens. I would assume it's normal & I should not freak out if I see my baby boy twitching, fall to his side & run off like nothing happened.
I think we've found our bond & enjoy each other's company. He enjoys using me as a personal jungle gym & sleeping in my pocket, on my lap, or in my arms. It's an awesome feeling that he likes to be around me, until he backs up or turns around & I get a nice prick somewhere. Rigby lets me give him a kiss on his brow w/o trying to stab my face & I think that's pretty nice of him.

Aww... he sounds like quite the enthusiastic little fella. Love that Rigby will let you kiss him.

Yeah, he's very well behaved. I was expecting & prepared for a mean hedgie before I got him. I'm glad his first mom new how to care for him & give him the attention he needs. He's a sweet little thing. I carry him in my hoodie pocket around the house & it's adorable. ^_^

Back