Mutations/Colors: Pictures

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3CsMommy

My babies Rock!
Western NY aka: Our Zoo. (We only lack a bird.)
I don't claim to know diddly about squat when it comes to chin colors. All I know is that my boys are standard gray males that will never be bred (because I know equally squat about their backgrounds). But, I have good pictures of what a standard gray chinchilla looks like. I figured I'd open a post where people with good pics of Mosaics, Pink Whites, Beiges and all the rest can brag a little, and the still learning chin owners can ooh and ahh and plan whether their next chin will be a sapphire or a ToV. :D (I'm leaning toward Ebony or ToV myself.)

So, without further ado, 2 non-show quality standard gray bucks:
100_2219.jpg

If you can't decide on which one you could always get a TOV Ebony.;)

Here's Kenai, a light violet wrap (doesn't quite look like a wrap, but he does have some Ebony in him). We've been told he may be worth showing at some point.

IMG_7940resize.jpg

IMG_7992resize.jpg

Great thread. I love looking at the colors; however I have 5 boys and will never breed.

Here are my lovely hetero beige bros. from Sagebrush Chins:
IMG_4663_2.jpg
(these are my "Chinese Chins" -- note the eyes).

A new silver mosiac I just got last month:
Dallas1.jpg

A retired breeder, a lovely Violet, from 4EverChins:
louviolet3.jpg

And finally, a dark standard from one of the superstore petstores:
IMG_4084_1.jpg

Can I ask what is the difference between hetero and homo beige? Our boy is beige but I do not know what type. He's almost got the coloring of the hetero beige but his ears are all pink. His eyes are DARK red to the point at first I thought they were black but they are red though. I know I need to just post a picture right? Until I'm able to get to a halfway decent camera that's impossible. He's too fast for me to take a picture and ends up bouncing away just as the camera takes the picture so all I get is a blurry chinchilla butt :D!

Hetero beige means one parent is a beige and one parent is something else. Homo beige means that both parents are beige. The homoe beiges are much lighter with very red eyes. The hetero beiges are darker beige and eyes are usually only red during pictures.

My boys are the darker beiges. I don't breed so that's a really simplified explanation.

So his eyes are always red so he's a homo beige than? The breeder is sending me his pedigree but didn't have it when we went to get him.

Although we MAY get a male mosaic from him and possibly another female (friends for everyone) so I told him i'd pick up the pedigree for our Fred when we got our new boy (my husband has already named Jason).

Lord help me I am hooked on these little chinchillas now. Although my husband has put the limit on 4 though.

Homo Beige usually have very red eyes.. like jelly bean eyes and often have bluish hue (almost a ring) in them. The way you describe yours it sounds like a hetero beige to me.

In general, Hetero beiges have ruby eyes - they are red but darker than homo beiges. Some are so dark that they appear black, but are still red. (Some lines of beige DO have black eyes, but it is not that common yet.) If a beige gets ear freckles, it is typically a hetero beige, but not all hetero beiges get ear freckles.

Homo beiges are much lighter, kind of creamy looking. I have never seen one with ear freckles, though I'm sure it's possible. Their eyes are bright red.

And since I don't actually work with beiges.... here is a sapphire. =D

linus2.jpg

Here's a picture of my tan girlie (she's actually darker than she looks in this picture).

med_gallery_4_50_428024.jpg

Beige white. Could almost be called tan white but her belly is white. Ebony is present in her genes which usually denotes a tan but again, no white belly so I was told she is officially beige white. :thumbs:

Misty, from Chincherubs, is a hetero beige.

IMG_0099.jpg

Her daughter, Tilly, one bred by me (dad is a Kessler hetero beige) is a homo beige.

IMG_0106.jpg

I really like the homo beige color. People shy away from them because of the eyes, but the color of the coat is amazing when clear.

Thanks for the side-by-side comparison Jinul. This is the first I've seen them identified one next to another.

Let's see, Standard, Violet wrap, Sapphire, Tan, Mosaics, Tan white, Ebony, Brown velvet, Homozygus and Heterozygus Beige, what else is left?

Back