Adult Chinchillas, should they have alfalfa in their diet?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What about the fresh veggies? I have never given lettuce or carrots, but the vet said that they can have that in their diet.

This idea is becoming more prevalent in the exotics veterinary field. I have actually read an article in a veterinarian magazine written by an exotics vet about chins and alfalfa. She is recommending the all timothy diet as well for adult chins. I will see if I can copy the article tomorrow at work. She is also recommending a limited pellet, unlimited hay diet, probably to curb that alfalfa ingestion.

Alfalfa is what is best for rabbits, and I think all this time, that is what many people/companies have based their nutrition ideas for chins on.

I'll see if I can find the article tomorrow.
Did you ever find the article? I'm quite interested in a link between chins and stones, as I've had guinea pigs with stones. Personally, after years of experience, I think it comes down largely to genetic predisposition (for pigs) and have always heard/read that chinnies aren't anywhere near as likely to develop stones, so any information you can provide, I'd love to see. Thanks!

I should've read this on the package before I threw it away (because I keep my pellets in a huge plastic tub) - Does anyone know what Nutrena Nature Wise is made of? Is it alfalfa based?

I feed my chin timothy based pellets and orchard grass, timothy and some alfalfa hay. He seems very happy with it. I've had him only a short time, but I'm pretty sure it's better than what he was getting from the breeder. Amish aren't known for their good breeding practices.

What is on the list of safe treats?

What treats are safe and where can you find them? We feed the Timothy based pellet that has rose hips in it. Its a special Exoctics brand food. We also feed Timothy hay, and very small amount of an Alfalfa cube, one cube lasts a 2-3 weeks.

Hello! I know this is a bit of a shot in the dark since this thread has been inactive for so long. But I have a chinnie who may be predisposed to stones -- not 100% sure yet -- holding off on the x-ray just for the time being, but if it is that, I would like to start changing over his food. I'm having difficulty tracking down a reputable timothy-based pellet. He's been on an alfalfa pellet & timothy hay diet, but I'd like to start shifting that over in case this is the problem... Thank you in advance!

Back