Chinchilla not as active

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loiwra348

Hey everyone, I’ve been noticing for the past week that my chinchilla Gizmo isn’t as active as he normally is. He doesn’t appear to have any major issues going on, he’s eating and drinking normally, poops normal size, still very alert and affectionate. However, he’s not jumping on his high ledges anymore and running on his saucer much less. I’m not sure how old he is exactly as I rescued him, but I have had him for about 11 years. He doesn’t appear to be injured in any way, which was my first concern, but he doesn’t seem to have any problems physically. Does anyone have any idea what might be going on? Thanks everyone!

Is the temp in the room the same? If it's warmer then normal or humid that can cause them to not want to be as active. Also has your schedule changed? If you are spending less time with him he may be lonely or depressed.

You could also take him to the vet, have them examine him to check if anything is wrong. Chins are good at hiding pain and illness so you have to pick up on little clues that something isn't right. Chinchillas live about 15-20 years in captivity, so he would be getting older, possibly getting arthritis or something similarly age related.

Back