Ideas for Holding Hay

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hazel_rain13

I have tried many different ways of providing my little guy with hay, but have had issues with everything. If the holder is made of wood or plastic, he destroys it within days. I tried metal, but that annoys him so he just immediately pulls all of the hay out of it. Anything hanging is a no go because that annoys him most of all. So far the only thing semi-working is a plastic holder that hags outside of the cage, but it makes a huge message and he has begun to chew the little clips that hold it in place.

I've tried just having it loose in his cage, but he throws it everywhere making a mess and will even make a pile of it to pee on.

I am grateful for any ideas.

Have you tried thicker wood hay holders? Mine are made with I think 1" pine boards, I know most of the pet store sold ones are very thin. Also some chins like ceramic pots or bowls. I just read the other day about someone that cut a hole in one of their shelves and sunk a clay pot in it for hay, so the hay is at mouth level, but not all over the floor of the cage. They do make metal outside the cage hay holders too.

Also if your chin isn't eating the hay there is a chance he just doesn't like it. Some chins can be picky and you may need to try different hays to find one he likes. You can also try offering the chin smaller amounts of hay a couple times a day instead of trying to fill the hay holder up completely. Some chins get the idea when given smaller amounts that if they waste it they don't have any to eat, but if they have lots they can play with it.

Back