Reorganizing Cage Setup

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

808chindad

How often do you change up the cage setup in order to avoid chins becoming bored? I'm just curious how often other owners reorganize their cages.

Major rearranging, moving shelving around as well as toys, feeders, and stuff, I try to do a couple times a year. Toys and perches like the lava ledges get rearranged once or twice a month, or when I get something new or refill a toy.

It really depends on your chins though, some love change, and you can redo the whole cage to look brand new. Others it stresses them out and you need to change things out slowly, maybe only one thing at a time over the course of weeks. So you need to know your own chins and what their personal comfort level is. Also when doing a major rearrange be careful if your chin is one that likes to run full speed around the cage, changing where ledges and perches are can cause a fall if your chin isn't careful.

Thanks again for the advice, Amethyst! I just found out that some Lava Ledges are unstable. They tend to loosen from the hanger bolt and completely come off. I decided to not use Lava Ledges and just go with wooden ones. Not sure if I want to glue the Lava Ledge back to the hanger bolt.

Yeah, I have had to re-glue them before, just peel the old glue off and re-glue with a bit of Elmer's glue does the trick. I just fill the hole with glue, put the bolt in, wipe up the overflow and let it set for a day or so. They didn't use to be so cheaply glued, the last one I bought had just a tiny drop of glue holding the bolt in, that was it. :facepalm:

Back