Need help with rat introduction

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Narcissus

My daughters had two adult male rats. Shortly after we got them, the bigger of the two rats had to be put to sleep because of several large tumors. I purchased a 5 week old baby male rat from a breeder. It has been 9 weeks since we bought him. For the past 9 weeks we have been doing introductions the bath tub, on my bed, in a play area, etc. Things have gone wonderfully, no fighting or aggression some power grooming from the older male but that is it. So, I got them a new cage, new hammocks, new toys, new waterbottle.... you the point, everything is new. I bathed them together and put them in their new cage 4 days ago. They did fine during the day, even sleeping in the tunnel together. But, about 10 pm they started fighting and the younger rat has a bite mark on his back. It isnt deep but did draw blood. So everynight after they start fighting I pull the older rat and put him in a carrier. I contacted the breeder and she said keep trying to put them together. which I have, and during the day they are fine. im on a rat forum and they seem to think that the rats are just playing. I know some of have rats and im desperate for some help. thank you.
I do apologise for spelling errors, im using my phone and it is new so im not used to it yet.

A very wise woman once told me to smear them all over with butterscotch pudding and put them in a bathtub. By the time they finish licking it off of each other they will be best friends. I've never had to do it as my intros have been pretty easy, but I've known others who have and they swear it works.

A very wise woman once told me to smear them all over with butterscotch pudding and put them in a bathtub. By the time they finish licking it off of each other they will be best friends. I've never had to do it as my intros have been pretty easy, but I've known others who have and they swear it works.

^^^ Really curious to hear if this works (sorry, I otherwise have nothing helpful to contribute!)

Back