Bonding my two female chins

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seli2180

I have two females about a year old. I had them out for there first playtime and everything seemed to be going good, in the beginning they were both running around ignoring each other or would go up to each other then continue to ignore one another they sniffed each others butts then once again ignored each other there was some soft going on ones back which I know was the one trying to show a little dominance which I was told to expect but from that point everything was looking pretty good they didnt pay much attention to each other but at the end one of them ran up to the other and a little bit of fur was taken out of course I ended things there immediately. But there was no spraying no going up on hind legs fighting pretty much sniffing each other and ignoring for the most part until that last incident. People have said to keep them in there cages for a few days then to try again but I’d like opinions and feedback on how this went what’s normal what’s to be expected because this is my first time I have no experience just going off the internet and fellow chin owners experiences

It sounds like it was going okay, then one of them got their diva on. The next time you do playtime, before you put them out, trim their whiskers back until they are about an inch long. They will grow back fairly quickly, but it helps with dominance issues (the humping). Also be sure to put a dust bath out. If you use shavings (or I suppose even fleece) rub the dirty (not soaked) shavings on each from the opposite cages. I've done it many times when fostering kits and it works great, so I did it when putting adults together and it seemed to help as well.

Good luck!

Back