should I use 2 different water bottles for 2 different chinchillas?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bun Bun

Im bought my chinchilla this morning and was wondering if I should get 2 different water bottles because I have 2 chinchillas. Same with the food bowl.

It's a good idea to have as many (or more) of everything as you have chins together. Chins can end up fighting over resources, like food and water and sometimes hiding houses. They can also sometimes guard resources, preventing the other chin from getting any. I have a double FN cage and have a water bottle, hay holder, and food bowl on the top level and the bottom for my two.

Do you mean you just got two new ones this morning or you got a new one to add to your current one? New chins should be quarantined in their own cage in a different room for 30 days before intros, it allows the new chin to settle in, for you to get to know it and it to get to know you, as well as any illnesses to show up before exposing your current chin. If it's two new ones that came together they can obviously stay together, but still quarantine them from your current chin.

Back