I stepped on my chinchilla!! HELP!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I stepped on one of my chinchillas, Rosie during play time. I have had her since the day she was born for almost 3 years and the only time she has ever been sick or hurt was when she had a bladder infection which we got cleared up. Anyway. When I lifted up my foot she tilted her head and wobbled. I thought she was going to fall over and die but she didn't I saw blood dripping but it was not from her mouth, it was a nose bleed. after about 15 minutes she started hopping around and for about an hour she did play time pretty much as usual. But she still looked kind of deformed I guess. This was yesterday and today she has dried blood in her nose and it does not look like she has had any internal bleeding but her ear is sagging ever since it happened. She can't lift it up and she snaps when I lift it up for her. What should I do, did I dislocate her ear? Did a crack her skull? Will she make it and fully recover?Please tell me I love her and I feel horrible.

okay thank you. She seems to be doing better now, her ear is still sagging and she only eats treats, not pellets, but she is hopping around. Thanks.

We could not afford to pay a vet bill for her so she never went. She did end up going back to usual in terms of eating, drinking, pooping and peeing. But ever since that day her mom would fight her when I put her in the cage. I still wonder why and was hoping somebody knew. She has lived with her mom since she was born and it has been like 4 months since they have gotten along. Also her ear never went back to normal? It says like she has no control over it what solver and when she shakes her head it just flops around. It’s the ear on the side of her head I stepped on. Any advice on that? Anybody know what I might have damaged in her head when I stepped on her to make her ear not work? Is it possible to get the ear removed so it doesn’t just drag by her?

So we could not afford to take her to the vet at the time but she did go back to normal in terms of eating, drinking, pooping, and peeing. But 2 things have been different ever since the day I stepped on her. 1 her mom fought her *** soon as I put her back in the cage. She has lived with her mom forever and they have not gotten along since. And 2 Rosie’s ear still sags by her like she has not control over it whatsoever. Anybody know why? Did I damage her skull? Can I have the ear removed? Just any advice on that because she has no ability to move that ear anymore and I have not clue what happened to her when I stepped on her to do that.

I don't want to be "that guy" but you shouldn't have pets if you can't afford vet bills for them.
You should think about re-homing this (and your other) poor little Chin, she needs help that you can't provide.

Back