my chinchilla keeps yelling

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blissandteddy

hey everyone so i got teddy in march 2017 and he was fine he was a rescue and hes 4 years old, for the last like 2 months hes been doing this thing where he pops his head foreward and starts making this like yelling noise and he only stops when i go give him attention or speak as soon as it goes quiet he starts yelling again untill i respond its quite worrying is this normal? is he too spoilt maybe and trying to have all my attention? i do give him a lot of attention and toys hes already had 2 new cages since i got him but he is alone with no other friend but me as im not sure how well he'd respond to being with another chin as he was alone when he was up for adoption. could he maybe have some ptsd from before? thanks <3

It sounds like he is doing a contact or alarm call, basically either yelling out to see if anyone is around, or he heard something and is letting you know. Chins do also train their humans, so he learns that you come running as soon as he cries, so could be just doing it to get you to come play/pay attention to him. If you look up chinchilla contact calls and alarm calls on youtube, I'm guessing that is what you are hearing. Contact called don't always mean he wants another chin friend, but being a single chin make sure you are spending at least an hour a day everyday with him so he doesn't feel lonely.

Also, if you are not doing this already, leave the TV on or a radio during the day, sometimes that helps rescues.

thank you for the advice on tv im home schooled and i started using netflix documentarys to distract him

Back