Lethargic, small feces and apetite lost - Help!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lakritz

Hello guys,

Since Saturday night my Chin is acting a bit strange. He is lethargic and with very small droppings. He lost his apetite and does not eat anything I show him.

I've read some familiar posts but none of them said what happened afterwards.

The breeder said I should give him a antitoxic and a medicine for gases. It seems to work ok, now she is less lethargic and walks a bit more (not 100% still).

He will go to the vet in the morning. Any tips? Someone here went through something familiar?

Thank you very much,

I'm sorry I didn't see this earlier. My only advice is to get him to the vet. It sounds like he is either bloating or has a blockage. You will need meds and x-rays.

I'll get him to the vet today, thank you.
Even though he seems better now, walking and jumping normally, he is still not eating.

Just want him happy and healthy again.

If anyone went through something like this, I am happy to know how it was.

It doesn't matter how active they are, if they're not eating... They can die. I went through months of regular hand feedings/medications with mine and I still almost lost him. Chins can go downhill fast. Get him to a knowledgeable veterinarian ASAP.

Hey Smidgeyy, thank you for answering.

I have a vet's appointing in two hours.
I am SO relieved that your Chin could make it!

My Chin's healthiness is my top priority at the moment. Even though I'm going to the vet soon, which medications did you give your's?

Hey guys, good news!

The vet said he'll be ok!
She said he probably ate something weird and it's making him gassy.

The gas is making him feel pain, so he does not eat. Now I have to hand feed him for a while, but he is not in danger anymore.

She gave me a pain killer, an anti toxic medicine and a gas reliever.
Soon he will be healthy again.

Thank you for all support, as soon as everything's back on track I write here. :)

I was going to warn you of possible prolapse if he was constipated, but that is unnecessary due to his affliction being of gaseous nature. Haha. I am happy your chin is okay.

Best Regards,

Sleeis

Hey guys,

I am so sad to inform that my little one went to heaven.
It was a on the december 22nd.

No one could know what he had, even after going to two vets.
If someone is reading this and have a chin with familiar problems, go to the vet immediately!

He had antibiotics, something for gas, anti toxic and nothing changed.
We got weaker and weaker, even when I hand feed him.

Thank you guys for the support!
I am pretty sure he is all happy now.

Lakritz,

I am so sorry for your loss. I know it is absolutely terrible to lose a pet; I cried for days after my gerbil, Lionel, passed away due to a stroke. I hope you are doing well, and that you know you did everything you could to help your chinchilla. If you are feeling down and need somebody with whom to talk, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best Regards,

Sleeis

Back