First time Chinchilla owner...a little nervous

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShastaPrice

Hi so I am brand new Chinchilla pet owner and have already fallen head over heels for our new pet.... So I am a little nervous because as of this afternoon my chinchilla has softer poops...they are still normal size and normal looking but are just soft and squishy when I pick them up....should I be concerned?

Hi there, welcome to the website I am also fairly new here.

Chinchillas have multiple types of poop. I wouldn't be concerned, so long as they are still normal-looking shapes. Some will be lighter brown and harder, some will be darker brown and squishier. Rodents will sometimes eat the squishier ones, but that's not very common in domesticated rodents.

How long have you had him(/her) for? Has there been any change in his diet or anything recently?

More info is needed, there are several reasons for soft poop especially for a new chin.

How long have you had the chin? Stress can cause soft poops, and moving to a new home is stressful, so if the chin is new it could just be still settling in. It can take some chins a month to fully settle in, some more time some less.

What are you feeding it? and is it the same food it was eating before you got it? Sudden change in food can cause the chin's poop to get soft.

Have you given it any treats? Most treat sold in pet stores are not chin safe. Also chins should not have any fruits, nuts, seeds, vegetables, or any animal products (milk, cheese, bone, meat, eggs, etc).

Is the poop smelly or slimy at all? That could indicate an gut infection.

Back