Broken leg? Vets don't open until tomorrow morning.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phoeblie

Hi,

My chinchilla Nike got out of his playpen, and since my dad isn't a big fan of them(in the first point), he got pissed and tried to force Nike back in with a broom. Long story short, my dad ended up hitting Nike with the broom somehow(I didn't see); I don't know how hard he hit him. My sister picked him up to put him into his cage, and I saw that his foot was limp and he was walking really funny. Asap I switched him over to a single story cage so I can bring him into my room and away from my dad. He's now just resting in one spot and hasn't moved. His eyes are also half closed. He will still respond to me, and look at me if I move near him. I'm going to switch him over to our carrier once I finish this post.

One vet I found will not open until tomorrow morning, and I am not sure if they will take chinchillas/with this situation.
There is an 24/7 emergency vet but my calls are not being answered.
And theres also a small handful of vets that will take chinchillas(as stated on their website), but they dont open until Monday. 2 days from now.

Pretty, much, nobody is available right now. I'm not sure if it's strained, fractured, or broken. Either way, he clearly isn't feeling well(being a hyper guy), and is there anything I can do for him until I get him to a vet?

Btw, I'd also would like to know about how much it might cost(the vest visits, x-rays, amputations, treatments, etc) so I can have an idea.

Update:

He's eating a bit of his pellets now. He has also turned 90 degrees, and rests on all fours. Eyes are droopier though.

I forgot to mention, that was one of his hind legs that was limp. It's also 1am, he would normally be wide awake and attentive.

Update: It's 7 am. Last night, he walked to his house. This morning, I found his outside, near the bottom right corner of his cage. Nike seems to have a bit more energy than what he had last night, he responded to my touches and even begged a little. Pellets do not seem to have decreased, but he isn't a pellet boy in the first place. I fed him a couple strands of grass and he took them ravenously. Then he wanted water, which was further away, so started to limp towards it. Of course, I brought it closer. When he limped, he dragged his left hind leg. The vet opens in 40 minutes, I will be calling then.

I can't help much on cost, it varies wildly from vet to vet and country to country. Maybe someone closer to you might have a better idea. My guess would be around $70 or more for the visit, $150 or more for x-rays, and a few hundred at least for amputation if needed. I would be prepared for it to reaches $1,000 or more though.

As to what to do until you can get him to the vet, it sounds like you did the right thing. Keep him in a single level cage or carrier, make sure his food and water are near by, and monitor him.

I am surprised no vets are open around you on the weekend though, I would try to do a bit more of a search around, maybe widening your search area. Even if it means driving an hour or two. I know my vet isn't open on weekends but they have a 24 hour call center with a vet on call for the area. Even a vet that doesn't normally see chins could have at least given pain meds to tide him over until a vet that knows chins could see him. I'm not trying to be mean, I just know some people don't seem to think about vets outside their town or city.

I hope all goes well and it's not too serious, but chin's bones are thin.

I got referred to a handful of vet offices/hospitals, only 2 had doctors come in today. But my parents were out for nearly the whole day, and I haven't gotten my license yet. They already left their offices by the time my parents got back :(

More places will be open tomorrow, and I'll give them all a call.

Good news is that he's been moving about and not just sitting still. He's eating both pellets and hay and drinking water. Poo size and quality(?) looks normal, less than what he would do normally(cause of him eating less), and he's been peeing as well. Nike's got alot more energy and responds faster, even giving me nibbles when he gets annoyed of my petting. He got to meet his two other cage mates and I think it cheered him up a good deal. He's currently enjoying his pellets :)

Thank you for the information on costs!

Back