Best Cages and set-up

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atravellersp

Hi all - I apologize if this has been asked and if my questions seem simple - I'm a brand new Chinchilla owner and starting out at a deficit. My husband got me a Chin from our local pet store (I know not recommended) for Christmas and while he did research - he didn't quite grasp the many nuances of Chin ownership. But he's ours now and we love him - we saw him many times in the pet store and fell in love then. He's just a baby - only about 2 months old according to the store and sweet but feisty. Whether we knew what we were getting into or not I'm committed now to giving him a great home. So I bought a critter nation double cage that will be here in two days - that I want to use to replace the starter cage - so our little guy has some height. But I've read mixed reviews on the bottom pan, and ramps. So I'm wondering if anyone has recommends if I should keep the ramps with the covers or get rid of all together? And of where I can get replacement pans that will fit the cage that aren't plastic -and then any kind of guard I can buy as I'd prefer to stick with the loose bedding -maybe try to litter train - that he's used to. I just know I'm busy and won't be as good about constantly washing fleece bedding - so loose bedding will be better - but need a better guard if I'm to do that or it will be everywhere.

I also looked at quality cages but those are so expensive -anyone know where I might find a used one? Trying to give at least 48-50 height - as even at two months, showing himself to be quite the jumper.

I'm not much of a DIY person - so looking to fit out the cage with shelves and accessories that are simple to put in and install - as anything that I have to jerry-rig myself could be tough. My husband will of course help but custom building is not his forte either.

I appreciate the advice and help. Thank you in advance!

You can get metal pans for cages from Bass Equipment, they make ones for the Ferret/Critter Nation cages. They are deeper 2.5" or 3" then the plastic pans that come with the CN cage so shavings work, and you can get guards too to raise another 3.5".

You'll want to remove the ramps, they are like ladders and the chin can get toes and feet caught and broken in them. Even with the covers, chins tend to pull the covers off, it's only a small piece of velcro holding it on. You can buy shelves and ledges to replace the ramps for getting from level to level. If you check out vendors on here, both the banner ads at the top of the page and classifieds you can find lots of cage supplies and toys. I live in Canada so I can't really help with personal suggestions for stores. The shelves and stuff mostly attach with just some bolts and wingnuts, very easy to install and move around.

One thing to be careful with when adding height is falling, baby chins especially, love to jump and climb, but a fall can hurt or kill them. You want to make sure when adding ledges and perches that the chin can't fall more then a foot or less. This is my cage setup for ideas https://flic.kr/s/aHskqmcuvf You can see the over lapping and the way the shelves, ledges, and perches attach to the cage. It's a Ferret Nation not a Critter Nation, but they are basically the same cage just different bars. I also removed the middle of the cage and replaced it with two 8" wide shelves. I wouldn't advise removing the middle for a young chin though, mine are around 11 years old, so they are long past the clumsy, growing, young chin stage.

Thanks for tips - should I maybe hold off on the taller cage for now?

This is very helpful thank you! So a question - since falling is a big danger for young ones. Would it be better if I stick with the starter cage (which is only 36" height I believe) and just remove the plastic shelves and put in wood/metal ones (though thus far though he is doing a lot of chewing of stuff I put in, has not shown any chewing of the shelves themselves) and wait to do the bigger cage upgrade until he is 6 months to a year? I hate to return and rebuy - but ultimately that's not a huge deal and it gives me time to learn more about setting up a cage, etc... I just thought it better to set up his permanent home now - but all the reading I've been doing says with babies - falling is a big risk and so would rather avoid any potential risk and leave cage as is and deal with the change to his environment at 8 months or one years old, than risk him hurting himself. Appreciate the further input.

You can get metal pans for cages from Bass Equipment, they make ones for the Ferret/Critter Nation cages. They are deeper 2.5" or 3" then the plastic pans that come with the CN cage so shavings work, and you can get guards too to raise another 3.5".

You'll want to remove the ramps, they are like ladders and the chin can get toes and feet caught and broken in them. Even with the covers, chins tend to pull the covers off, it's only a small piece of velcro holding it on. You can buy shelves and ledges to replace the ramps for getting from level to level. If you check out vendors on here, both the banner ads at the top of the page and classifieds you can find lots of cage supplies and toys. I live in Canada so I can't really help with personal suggestions for stores. The shelves and stuff mostly attach with just some bolts and wingnuts, very easy to install and move around.

One thing to be careful with when adding height is falling, baby chins especially, love to jump and climb, but a fall can hurt or kill them. You want to make sure when adding ledges and perches that the chin can't fall more then a foot or less. This is my cage setup for ideas https://flic.kr/s/aHskqmcuvf You can see the over lapping and the way the shelves, ledges, and perches attach to the cage. It's a Ferret Nation not a Critter Nation, but they are basically the same cage just different bars. I also removed the middle of the cage and replaced it with two 8" wide shelves. I wouldn't advise removing the middle for a young chin though, mine are around 11 years old, so they are long past the clumsy, growing, young chin stage.

If you as still going with the double Critter Nation cage, they can be divided into two cages, I would just close off the top section. The ramp that goes from top unit to the bottom unit, if you leave in in for now, can clip up under the middle floor acting as a door, closing off the top section from the bottom. If you want him in the top unit, just use the bottom pan in the top to cover the hole. That way you can upgrade to the new cage, and when he seems to be better coordinated and done growing you can open up the rest of the cage.

If you as still going with the double Critter Nation cage, they can be divided into two cages, I would just close off the top section. The ramp that goes from top unit to the bottom unit, if you leave in in for now, can clip up under the middle floor acting as a door, closing off the top section from the bottom. If you want him in the top unit, just use the bottom pan in the top to cover the hole. That way you can upgrade to the new cage, and when he seems to be better coordinated and done growing you can open up the rest of the cage.

An interesting idea. I will run that by my husband and see if he wants to help me get all of that set - we haven't taken the new cage out of the box yet :). Part of me wonders though if I should just leave him where he is for a bit. Seems pretty content. And I think I don't have to worry about him chewing on the plastic shelves - I think because they go from one side of cage to other versus being ledges, he doesn't see them as chew on - I say this because he's chewing the crap out of his wood house and all of his toys - so I'm thinking with the amount of chewing he's doing, I'd see some sign of chewing on the plastic shelves if he had any interest in them - but either way - they are pretty easy to replace with metal shelving. Plus then I can decide if I really want this cage or want to look at other cage options. Also wondering with more time if I can't find a used one for less money. What I really wanted was the Quality cage mansion but the price on those is too much. Thank you so much for the advice and help. I very much appreciate it. And whatever I do, no ramps.

Back