Chin food/water containers?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zaveng7

So I'm getting a new CN (or FN, whichever I can find the cheapest option for) cage soon, and I'd prefer not to use the water bottle my local breeders gave me, it sometimes drips and would fit very oddly on the new cage. Anyone know of a good one to buy that is safe and doesn't tend to drip? I can make due with the food bowl I have, I'll probably find a way to attach it to the cage sides. However if anyone knows of a good food bowl that works well for them, is safe for the chins, and prevents messes in any way, suggestions for that are very appreciated as well.

I've not had the best luck with water bottles, it seems to be hit or miss, some leak some don't, even of the same brand and style. Both the ones I have now seem to be working ok, they are glass with a metal guard on the cap, one is a Super pet one and the other is a Living World one. I've heard people have had the best luck with the Lixit brand, just make sure you get the glass one not plastic. You don't want plastic for the bottle or the chins will just chew right through it sooner or later.

As for a food bowl I suggest using metal coop cups, like these. Chins like to throw their bowls around and this way they can't, or at least not as easily. If you have chins that like to sit in their food bowl and pee though, I suggest getting a hooded ceramic bird bowl. You can also use the bigger hooded bird bowls for hay. I have two wooden open topped boxes that screw to the wall of the cage that I use for hay. I really don't know any good way to prevent hay mess though, other then have it in something up off the floor. Chins pull the hay out, and toss it around, so it doesn't seem to matter what it was in.

Just another suggestion, since you have two chins, it's best to have two of everything (at least food bowls and water bottles) so they don't decide to fight over or guard resources.

I've not had the best luck with water bottles, it seems to be hit or miss, some leak some don't, even of the same brand and style. Both the ones I have now seem to be working ok, they are glass with a metal guard on the cap, one is a Super pet one and the other is a Living World one. I've heard people have had the best luck with the Lixit brand, just make sure you get the glass one not plastic. You don't want plastic for the bottle or the chins will just chew right through it sooner or later.

As for a food bowl I suggest using metal coop cups, like these. Chins like to throw their bowls around and this way they can't, or at least not as easily. If you have chins that like to sit in their food bowl and pee though, I suggest getting a hooded ceramic bird bowl. You can also use the bigger hooded bird bowls for hay. I have two wooden open topped boxes that screw to the wall of the cage that I use for hay. I really don't know any good way to prevent hay mess though, other then have it in something up off the floor. Chins pull the hay out, and toss it around, so it doesn't seem to matter what it was in.

Just another suggestion, since you have two chins, it's best to have two of everything (at least food bowls and water bottles) so they don't decide to fight over or guard resources.

Yep, that’s exactly what my chins do now with their food bowl, they throw it around the cage because as of now I have no way of sustaining it to a wall. Thanks for the suggestions, I’ll definitely check all those out, and I like the buying two of each idea. Thanks :)

Back