Question about Banana Chips?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milo10

I've read on a bunch of different sites that Banana Chips with no added sugar are ok for chins to have!?!?!? What is your thought on this?

The natural sugars in bananas are too much for their stomachs. Dried or not. No fruits or veggies dried or otherwise. I am sure if I am wrong I will be corrected.

I know about the no dried fruits or veggies rule...lol I was just reading about chin owners feeding their chins banana chips. Just wanted to make sure! :)

No dried fruits or veggies means just that...no dried fruits or veggies. Since bananas are a fruit, chinchillas should not have them. A lot of owners out there do a lot of stupid things. They also believe a chinchilla's lifespan should be 5-10yrs and it ends up being that way because of bad care and bad nutrition.

Banana chips are not good for humans. Why even consider giving it to a chin. Even without the sugar they are still bad.

Fruits are natually sweet as they have sugar--when you condense the fruit by drying it and therefore removing all the water you have now more than tripled the sugar content in the fruit. To say dried fruit has no added sugar is very misleading as dried fruits always have more sugar in them than fruits that are fresh

Fruits are natually sweet as they have sugar--when you condense the fruit by drying it and therefore removing all the water you have now more than tripled the sugar content in the fruit. To say dried fruit has no added sugar is very misleading as dried fruits always have more sugar in them than fruits that are fresh

It's just more sugar in proportion to the size of the fruit. There isn't actually more sugar in a dried banana than in that same banana that was fresh before it was dried. But in proportion there's more sugar since some of the volume (water) has been taken out of the fruit. Maybe that's what you were saying, and I'm just being all anal and annoying.

Regardless--fruits and veggies have simple sugars in them which are not digested well in any significant amount in chinchillas. Banana chips would be just as bad to give to a chin as a fresh banana.

Eh, people do lots of different things. Some not so intelligent. Oh well, I think it's good you asked though.

there is more bad information to be found on the internet than good. Any idiot can make a website

Well, there sure is a lot of conflicting information regarding this. I have a friend who has owned chins for many years and has three that are over 15 years old and he feeds dehydrated apples as treats. Never had any problems with it. I assumed it was okay, in very small amounts. Guess I was wrong..

You can't really blame people for listening to their vet. If you can't trust an exotics vet with chin experience, who can you trust?

How many chins do you think an exotic vets sees on a daily basis? Now, how many chins do you think a rancher or breeder sees on a daily basis? Unfortunately most exotic vets aren't as chinchilla savvy as they would like you to believe. Don't get me wrong, I am very much not against vet care, but when it comes to nutritional guidelines I would listen to a rancher with 25-30 yr old chins way before an exotic vet.

Sorry I haven't gotten back on to check this yet! I was in a roll over car accident with my boyfriend lastnight! I was just asking to double check! Thanks your guys! Milo hasn't had any sweets since the 2nd week I had her. When I took her to the vets november 15 she weighed in at a pound! NOW she weighs 2 pounds! So shes picking up her weight like she should, so I'm very happy about that :)

Oh wow-- Milo!! That is terrible about your accident! Everyone is okay, right? Thank goodness you are alright.

In response- Yes, I would rather listen to a rancher or you guys for advice. Hopefully chin owners care enough about their pets to do a little research-- and find this forum! It has been a big help to me! :)

Yea, everyones ok, I have some bruises and some swelling on my back, But I'll be ok :) My boyfriend doesn't remember anything, except leaving my house. He blacked out even before we hit the ditch bank. Took my 5 mins to get him to answer me. But hes ok too now.

It's a good thing I decided to do some checking as I always do, before giving Little Miss Rain chilla' some nanner' chips before I head to bed. I know about the no dried fruits or veggies rule, but I was wondering about this thanking of the general rule that I go by for two sticks. If it's a fruit tree and the fruit Bears small seeds like apples raspberries blackberries etc, it's generally safe for chins to chew on, once properly dried of course. But if it's a fruit that bears Stones such as Peaches or apricots it's no go. However I guess this answers my question and the banana chips are a no-go as well. With that being said I'm heading for bed, G'night'...

Back